Pedals > Preamp > USB Interface/DAW?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1392
edited February 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hi all, strictly for home demos, I have been using the free version of Amplitube, and while it's ok for ideas, I can't get on with the cleans or the overdrives.
It's fine for bass amp sim though.
So looking for a cheap option to try and go into the interface with as much of the guitar sound already treated.
I have a Mooer Audiofile for headphone playing but I gather it's a flat enough cab sim so not sure if this would solve the problem.
What about the other small Mooer Preamps, of which there are a lot? I imagine one of these after my pedals into the interface would solve the problem? Or something like a pocket pod ? The Mooer Radar might be too much, but one of the other ones could solve my problem. I'd basically like to mimic a clean amp with EQ options.

Would I need a power amp to go with the preamp? I would guess not? It would strictly be for home demos.

One of these? http://www.mooeraudio.com/product/Pre-amp-18#c_product_list-15530818451558466-1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    There's no logic that the software in an amp sim pedal would be any better than amp sim software running on a computer.

So if you don't like Amplitube (though I think that might just be because you're only using the free version, the Fender collection models are very highly regarded for clean sounds) you'd be better off trying other software on your computer because all those Mooer pedals are are small computers running nothing but an amp sim of a single model.

I'd recommend trying the 10 day free trial of Scuffham S-Gear - that is very good for clean sounds. Possibly as good as anything.
  • Personally, I would go analogue. My personal favourite that I've used for many, many years is the Award-Session JD10 (the Jerry Donahue pre-amp) - no longer made but they still show up secondhand (I've paid around £50 in the past but prices seem to have crept up a bit). They tend to suffer from scratchy pots in their old age so benefit from a bit of tlc with some switch cleaner).

Buying new, the cheapest option (that gets a lot of love on here) would be the Joyo/Harley Benton American Sound (Fender), British Sound (Marshall) and ... er ... the other one (Vox?) For a bit more money (and better build quality/noise floor) there are the AMT preamp pedals, the F1 (Fender) and V1 (Vox). I have the VI but I haven't used it all that much, preferring to use one of my JD10s (I have 4 or 5!)

Then there are newer options - the Two-notes Le Clean, Sansamp (the original and the newer 'character' pedals - and a host of chinese-made clones from Behringer and others).
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited February 2020
    I was never satisfied with going direct and using software amp sims (amplitube, ableton's softube amp, guitar rig), they always sounded off and unrealistic. There is also the additional problem that unless you have good equipment, properly set up, there would be a latency which destroys the feel of playing guitar.

This was all solved when I got the atomic ampli-firebox, which sounds great and doesn't have any noticeable latency. I record all electric tones directly without any faff. I think one of the main things that really improves the realism is impulse response cab modelling, which the ampli-firebox has!

Additionally, I bring it out when playing with my band, plug straight into the PA and get a consistent great tone which everyone can hear clearly.

P.S. I've had the JD-10, Tech 21 Blonde and Joyo American Sound. The JD-10 didn't leave much of an impression, the latter two were not bad but sounded like a filtered/EQ-ed DI signal emulating an amp, they are certainly usable but the ampli-firebox sounds way better!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    Preamp into a Two Notes amp and cab sim 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Branshen said:
    I was never satisfied with going direct and using software amp sims (amplitube, ableton's softube amp, guitar rig), they always sounded off and unrealistic. There is also the additional problem that unless you have good equipment, properly set up, there would be a latency which destroys the feel of playing guitar.

This was all solved when I got the atomic ampli-firebox, which sounds great and doesn't have any noticeable latency. I record all electric tones directly without any faff. I think one of the main things that really improves the realism is impulse response cab modelling, which the ampli-firebox has!

Additionally, I bring it out when playing with my band, plug straight into the PA and get a consistent great tone which everyone can hear clearly.

P.S. I've had the JD-10, Tech 21 Blonde and Joyo American Sound. The JD-10 didn't leave much of an impression, the latter two were not bad but sounded like a filtered/EQ-ed DI signal emulating an amp, they are certainly usable but the ampli-firebox sounds way better!
    I used the Amplifire for a few years and it definitely is better than the plugins you mentioned but I've since found a plugin TH-U (which is like Kemper) that's even better than AA or, at the very least, just as good sounding but with the many benefits of plugins (can alter the tone after recording, can assign midi controllers to any parameter at all, can use other plugins like compressors, reverb etc.).

But for anyone who, for whatever reason, wants hardware rather than a plugin, the Atomic really does sound great and is much cheaper than some of the other top notch standalone sims.
  • Picked up a Mooer little preamp, so it will use the cab sim with it, so pedals into it , into audio interface.
    I might look at a more expensive one next time around .
    Picked up a Mooer little preamp, so it will use the cab sim with it, so pedals into it , into audio interface.
    From my understanding, those cab sims aren't IR based. I had a listen to the demos and wasn't too impressed, but I have not heard one "in the flesh". I hope it works out for you!
  • Branshen said:
    Picked up a Mooer little preamp, so it will use the cab sim with it, so pedals into it , into audio interface.
    From my understanding, those cab sims aren't IR based. I had a listen to the demos and wasn't too impressed, but I have not heard one "in the flesh". I hope it works out for you!
    Yeah, I can't imagine it will be unbelievable for the money, but it's strictly for home demos.
    thegummy said:
    Branshen said:

I used the Amplifire for a few years and it definitely is better than the plugins you mentioned but I've since found a plugin TH-U (which is like Kemper) that's even better than AA or, at the very least, just as good sounding but with the many benefits of plugins (can alter the tone after recording, can assign midi controllers to any parameter at all, can use other plugins like compressors, reverb etc.).

But for anyone who, for whatever reason, wants hardware rather than a plugin, the Atomic really does sound great and is much cheaper than some of the other top notch standalone sims.
    Interesting. I have come across TH-U before but never tried it. Will keep it in mind if I ever want to go that route. 
    Branshen said:

Interesting. I have come across TH-U before but never tried it. Will keep it in mind if I ever want to go that route. 
    The algorithmic sims in TH-U (formerly TH3) have been highly praised and they really are good but when they introduced the "Rig Player" which is like the Kemper where it profiles (essentially like sampling) an entire rig just sound so good and better than anything else I've tried so I don't even use any of the many programmed amp sims, I just use the rig profiles (the ones that come with it aren't so great and just demos, the great ones are bought online).

When I occasionally go back to the Atomic it still sounds good so it definitely holds its own but there's no question for me that the profiled amps on the TH-U Rig Player sound even better.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2294
    sweepy said:
    Preamp into a Two Notes amp and cab sim 
    It's worth pointing out that any drive pedal is effectively a pre-amp - play it into a speaker sim and you've got a sound right there. Knob tweaking positively encouraged - surprise yourself!
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 963
    I've just gone through a similar thing. Wanted to get into budget recording And thought of a similar setup.

In the end I went for a h&k Redbox.

Do, guitar -> pedals -> HRD -> Redbox -> behringer usb interface.

Sounds good enough to me and a lot less fiddly than amp sims.

Redbox £45 from eBay. Interface £32 from Amazon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 819
    I have done quite a lot of experimenting with this kind of thing.
    I set up a pedalboard with an ABY splitter, going into MXR 5150 OD >mooer Radar> focusrite skarlett 2i2 input 1 > Reaper track 1, track 2 gets a DI from the ABY.
    This allowed me to get the sound I like from the 5150 and Mooer--lots of options there, and also a DI which I run through amo sims and IR in the DAW, I have tried all the free ones-LePou are good, and I also have THU with my Slate subscription, seriously--there is nothing that cannot be done with it.
    I also tried a line out from a Marshall Class5 head, into the Mooer, and TBH, it is just easier to get a good tone with the 5150.
    The Radar is a fantastic little device-I forget how many IRs it stores-but it can also host your own, I find anything works, it is a matter of setting it to a sound, and then eq afterwards to remove anything you dont like.
    the world is your lobster with this approach.

• Why not just buy one of the amps from the custom shop. I bought the older version of the 5E3 and still use it as I think it really stands up. I often contemplate buying a blackface model too to complement it.

You can try them for free beforehand, so it's a no-brainer I think.
  • relic245 said:
    I've just gone through a similar thing. Wanted to get into budget recording And thought of a similar setup.

In the end I went for a h&k Redbox.

Do, guitar -> pedals -> HRD -> Redbox -> behringer usb interface.

Sounds good enough to me and a lot less fiddly than amp sims.

Redbox £45 from eBay. Interface £32 from Amazon.
    Similar setup to me: guitar > Katana > rec out into interface. Works perfectly for me :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)