Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What pickup configuration shall I go for?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10584
    tFB Trader
    Strat configuration, three Filtertron types ... because I adore retro overkill! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 3 Firebird pickups... Wired either like a strat, or with two 3-way toggles like the TVL Yamaha of old.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Emg 81 And an Emg 81. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    +1 to the firebird option

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• skunkwerx said:
    Emg 81 And an Emg 81. 
    That's what I have in my Performance now, I much prefer it to the 81/85 set I had before :+1:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• bullybully Frets: 5
    Well it does seem like you are going for the biggest range of coverage of pickups in your collection, which is very much what I (try to) do (or at least use that as some kind of warped reasoning for why I need anything new in my life). 

is there any guitars / guitarists that right now you think would be nice to have that you aren't covering? 

A couple have said the filtertron style would be the first look that covers a classic style & not covered in your collection yet. Again another suggestion that others have made, which is where my mind went as well was mini-humbuckers, also thinking actual jazzmaster pickups.

From that, combinations of wiring & pickup selections. two or three pickups, coil split or tapping, selector/switches to get different configurations and sounds.

Then I come back to - whats actually your favourite - go back to that but with it being a new guitar, and maybe just different brand/magnets of your favourite type of pickups could lead to a dramatically different sound - it could be as simple as just going traditional tele 2 single coils.