NGD - Musicman Silhouette

What's Hot
antonyivantonyiv Frets: 303

I've always wanted one of these! 

And finally here it is, a 2011 Silhouette in Sterling Silver with matching headstock. 

Soon I will write a proper review. 

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    edited February 2020
    very nice. 
    I have a cheap USA  version of the silo still. 

Sold my two silos sometime ago and regretted it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14534
    Hardtail. Wise choice.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely! 

Here's a gratuitous pic of the Silhouette that's been my main guitar since 1989... 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxc7hkgv4sj7viw/IMG_1710.jpg?raw=1

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1727
    edited February 2020
    Thats a proper guitar. Lovely. I've had 4 since 1994 and still have 2
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    Looks great. Superb guitars. Enjoy!
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1298
    Very cool. Lovely finish too, looks very good with a matching headstock, unlike some other finishes. Congrats!
  • Nice!
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    All the EBMM guitars I've played have been superb quality instruments.  

Classy looking guitar that.

• llewllew Frets: 78
    That's a beaut. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3314
    edited February 2020
    Nice and I recently discovered them. Loved the feel of the neck and whilst not big, I preferred it to the Luke models. Also, the quality and useable sounds from a HSH model really appealed and impressed me. 

I'm on the hunt for one  
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    How similar is the neck on these to the Axis?

My Axis is currently my favourite guitar but I wish it had 24 frets.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    edited February 2020
    prlgmnr said:
    How similar is the neck on these to the Axis?

My Axis is currently my favourite guitar but I wish it had 24 frets.
    Their not the same really. The axis is asymmetrical and a touch wider in the hand. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3144
    edited February 2020
    Nice buy, love my Silhouette, it’s my No1 go to single coil guitar. Used to belong to Joe Brown but has been “tastefully “ modified since I’ve had it with DiMarzio hot rail in the bridge and a mate made me a custom scratch plate for my 50th

i.call it Bouncer because it’s been nicked twice but came bouncing back!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    edited February 2020
    Nice silos on here. Great snag for the op. Not sure I seen one in silver. Never been near a silo. I believe the original 4 pup morse was based on the silo.....anyone know how close body and neck are to the morse ?
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 303
    Thank you all for the kind comments. And thank you for posting pictures of your amazing guitars.

Now, since I spent 3 full days playing only the Silo, I can write something like a review/overview. 

Prerequisite 

I was really excited about this guitar. I’ve red so many cool reviews and opinions over the Internet. I even bought marching Ernie Ball strap, knobs and strap locks while I was waiting for the guitar to arrive. 

The good stuff

- Extremely light instrument
    - Probably the most comfortable guitar that I’ve ever played. The counties of the body are simply amazing. I really enjoy playing it standing up.
    - The satin neck feels great 
    - Those DiMarzio virtual PAFs are really good sounding and versatile. Besides that I have coil taps. I could get modern sounds out of it and almost mimic Strat and Tele sounds. 
    - The finish is lovely
    - The build quality seems to be very good
    - Access to the upper frets is super easy due to the neck joint

The bad stuff

- Only one - the neck. It feels too small/narrow for me. I expected it to be thinner. Maybe it’s because of the frets, don’t know. But I have difficulties adjusting to that guitar. I don’t lose speed but I lose accuracy. 

As you can see, there are so many things which I like about the Silo. However, the neck is pretty important. I will continue to play it and will see how it goes. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23022
    edited February 2020
    antonyiv said:
    The bad stuff

- Only one - the neck. It feels too small/narrow for me. I expected it to be thinner. Maybe it’s because of the frets, don’t know. But I have difficulties adjusting to that guitar. I don’t lose speed but I lose accuracy. 

As you can see, there are so many things which I like about the Silo. However, the neck is pretty important. I will continue to play it and will see how it goes. 
    It's interesting how often opinions on Music Man guitars come back to the necks.  Nearly everyone loves the finish on them, but a really high percentage of people say they're too thin and - especially - too narrow.  And that's despite the fact that individual models have different neck profiles - all of them thin!

Surely they'd sell even more if they offered a choice of neck profiles?
  • Philly_Q said:
    antonyiv said:
    The bad stuff

It's interesting how often opinions on Music Man guitars come back to the necks.  Nearly everyone loves the finish on them, but a really high percentage of people say they're too thin and - especially - too narrow.  And that's despite the fact that individual models have different neck profiles - all of them thin!

Surely they'd sell even more if they offered a choice of neck profiles?
    Obviously I like mine, coz I've been playing it for (yikes!) 30 years. As it was an early model, I've got the 6 bolt neck, not the improved 5 bolt version. Regarding necks, at the time they offered two radii and 2 widths. I've got the standard width, 1 5/8in, but (according to my StewMac gauge) a 12in radius. The wider neck was 1 11/16in and the other radius was 10in. The neck finish is glossy, not satin. I knew none of this at purchase time - I just loved that specific guitar and bought it. Paula at Chandlers kept trying to sell me a PRS, but I wasn't having any of it!

The original pickups were radio-receptive-friendly Di Marzios. The keen-eyed will have seen that I replaced them with Kinman noiseless. Ernie Ball hadn't started fitting their noise cancelling circuit when they made mine. The Kinmans work much better at being quiet on stage at volume with lots of interference flying around. 

The last thing that I've got, but have never used, was the concept of easily-detachable scratchplates. The idea was you could have a different pickup/control configuration and just swap them without any soldering or string removal - just a screwdriver. Have they dropped that feature now, I wonder? 

• bazxkr said:
    Nice silos on here. Great snag for the op. Not sure I seen one in silver. Never been near a silo. I believe the original 4 pup morse was based on the silo.....anyone know how close body and neck are to the morse ?
    I've just been reading the EBMM specsheet that came with my Silhouette but covered their entire range. In 1989, the (first) Steve Morse model body was 12 1/2in wide instead of 12 3/8in, same depth, poplar. The neck width was the same, but only 22 frets instead of 24 and jumbo frets instead of the higher but vintage width of the Silhouette. 12in radius.