Charvel Pro Mod DK24 tuning issues?

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3472
edited February 2020 in Guitar
Just played one in a shop and was wondering if the tuning issue I experienced is common issue with this guitar.

I've tried many guitars in this particular store and a few have been difficult to keep in tune after a play through, which does annoy me, but it's possibly inherent in most shops, I guess.

Basically, the trem is superb in that it's got a massive, massive range back both forward AND backward, but the guitar struggled to stay in tune with anything considered more extreme than normal.

Nevertheless, I am impressed with the build quality and the way it feels to play, lovely guitars. And they look class, too!

For illustration purposes only, this is a stock image from Peach...the shop I played this one at WAS NOT PEACH GUITARS.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1659
    edited February 2020
    There is a faceb00k page for charvel players.. and this is a repeated topic, so yes, common issue..  perhaps it may have some answers, if you were so inclined to buy the guitar.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Ah fair one. Gutted. They are lovely guitars apart from that! Real shame!

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    I have this guitar and have no tuning stability issues, I don't however use the trem but it's still floating I haven't blocked it off.
  • King85 said:
    I have this guitar and have no tuning stability issues, I don't however use the trem but it's still floating I haven't blocked it off.
    There'll be plenty of trem usage here, that's the only thing! I just noticed they've done a similar guitar with a Floyd...not as cool looking though - plain maple.

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    I have a dk24 with floyd and wanted to change for vintage trem one but may want to rethink that now if this is a common issue with these. First thought the one you played in a shop could've had setup issues but seems unlikely since there's more reports of the same nature.
  • It shouldn't be necessary at that price point but if your heart is set on one of them then would it be worth getting it anyway and letting @FelineGuitars give it a bit of TLC? I'm sure they could make it stay in tune 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It shouldn't be necessary at that price point but if your heart is set on one of them then would it be worth getting it anyway and letting @FelineGuitars give it a bit of TLC? I'm sure they could make it stay in tune 
    That's exactly what I was thinking and what I do with all my guitars. :-)

• It is a thing with them - one of my students has one, and had similar problems. A proper setup sorted it out; there were a couple of issues from the factory setup (think the bridge angle was wrong for a start). Plays great now and no issues, they're fantastic guitars...but agree they shouldn't have these problems at that price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was reading on another forum and some of the tuning problem was attributed to the trem posts moving
    Here is the thread and suggestions to a remedy . It seems like a very common problem 

• On mine the problem was the string slots on the nut needing widening and a little lubing. I believe they come cut for 9's and mine had 10's on.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14515
    Gotoh 510 spec makes good reading. 

The obvious accident waiting to happen would be major height adjustments made under full string tension. This could damage the pivot slots and/or the baseplate knife edges.

Nut slot attention should eliminate snagging issues.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506

I've tried many guitars in this particular store and a few have been difficult to keep in tune after a play through, which does annoy me, but it's possibly inherent in most shops, I guess.
    It’s probably not an inherent problem with the guitar - the shop I work for has a method they use of stringing the guitars loosely and never stretching the strings, so nothing ever stays in tune. Drives me nuts... I’ve mentioned it more than once but it’s not my shop or my decision!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein