Les Paul R9 value?

What's Hot
WiddleWiddle Frets: 2
edited February 2020 in Guitar
Hi, I’m after a bit of advice on value of my R9. Bought quite a few years ago and serial number 94646. It’s a custom shop cherry burst in excellent condition with some stunning flame... ideas on value?

cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WiddleWiddle Frets: 2
    edited February 2020

• Sorry new to forum so forgive novice posting! Hopefully link shows pic.... cheers 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10262
    edited February 2020
    Around £2,500 to £3,250 depending on condition. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    Yep, agreed. What sort of pickups are in it, @Widdle?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • At the moment, bareknuckle, but originals kept - TBH not sure what they are. Usual PAF humbuckers. 
  • Pics?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462

You are more likely to get the top end of that selling on consignment in a shop than privately.  I've seen them advertised for £4k or more in shops.  There are some second hand ones on Reverb for £4.5k or so.  That's optimistic, but I think a £4k or £4.2k asking price in a shop will be common.  If someone does come in and pay the askling price without haggling (has happened on a couple of guitars I have sold on consignment), then you might even see £3.4k after commission on a good day.  Haggling down to £3.7k with you seeing a bit over £3k is more likely though. 

Even after commission, you are likely to get more from selling via a shop than selling privately.  If you sell via Ebay or Reverb, there are also fees to think about as well.  By the time you pay Paypal fees, and Ebay/Reverb selling fees, the commission the shop takes doesn't look so bad.

Remember, people will be willing to pay more if they try the guitar in a reputable shop and fall in love with it than they will on somewhere like Ebay.

The other advantage of selling via a shop is that you don't have to deal with all the time wasters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:

The other advantage of selling via a shop is that you don't have to deal with all the time wasters.
    You just need to make sure the shop doesn't go bust while your guitar is hanging on the wall.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2289
    Brize said:
    crunchman said:

You just need to make sure the shop doesn't go bust while your guitar is hanging on the wall.
    That’s not so bad - you can put in a claim to the liquidators and get it back as it’s still your property. Once it’s sold though, you’re stuffed - don’t ask me how I know!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Keefy said:
    Brize said:
    crunchman said:

That’s not so bad - you can put in a claim to the liquidators and get it back as it’s still your property. Once it’s sold though, you’re stuffed - don’t ask me how I know!

It's still probably a lot lower risk than Ebay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very true. Will load a few pics later when I get a chance this week - was thinking about 3.5 - 4K maybe. It is a stunner!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Widdle said:
    Very true. Will load a few pics later when I get a chance this week - was thinking about 3.5 - 4K maybe. It is a stunner!
    That's ambitious - it won't fetch that sort of money. The picture that you posted originally shows that it's a nice guitar but washed cherry isn't the most desirable colour and the more recent reissues - especially the 2013 and 2014 guitars - have better specs.
  • Widdle said:
    Very true. Will load a few pics later when I get a chance this week - was thinking about 3.5 - 4K maybe. It is a stunner!
    There are new R9s on the market a under £4k.

Unless you're prepared to be very patient I would expect you'll make less than 3.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16119
    Pics?
    And weight of course !
  • Dominic said:
    Pics?
    And weight of course !
    Haha! One thing at a time...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    crunchman said:
    However, conversely there is a potential risk that the guitar could get damaged in the shop. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)