Jesus Lizard/Tomahawk Duane Denison rig rundown

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
edited February 2020 in Guitar
Top player, smart guy and really cool guitars. He's written some of my favourite riffs. Anyone else a fan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqNhtoki3go&feature=emb_title
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm a massive fan. I watched this the other day while at home sick and it cheered me up no end. I was pleased to see that his approach to his sound is very similar to mine, no surprise as those Jesus Lizard records are a massive influence on me - amazing band!
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Nice, will have to remember to watch this when I get home.

New Tomahawk album on the way too.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I'm a massive fan. I watched this the other day while at home sick and it cheered me up no end. I was pleased to see that his approach to his sound is very similar to mine, no surprise as those Jesus Lizard records are a massive influence on me - amazing band!
    Definitely. I love his approach. He wrote some of the coolest riffs in alternative rock, IMO. 

Kinda wish he still had the Travis Beans & Hiwatt rig though, that was mega cool. 
  • Only really know the first tomahawk album but thats a belter

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Loobs said:
    I'm a massive fan. I watched this the other day while at home sick and it cheered me up no end. I was pleased to see that his approach to his sound is very similar to mine, no surprise as those Jesus Lizard records are a massive influence on me - amazing band!
    Definitely. I love his approach. He wrote some of the coolest riffs in alternative rock, IMO. 

Kinda wish he still had the Travis Beans & Hiwatt rig though, that was mega cool. 
    I think he's still got it, just not using it live due to weight and value!
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    Only really know the first tomahawk album but thats a belter

IMMEDIATELY check out Head & Goat from Jesus Lizard! Some of the best riffs ever! 
  • Loobs said:
    Only really know the first tomahawk album but thats a belter

IMMEDIATELY check out Head & Goat from Jesus Lizard! Some of the best riffs ever! 
    Liar needs to be in there, plus I've got a lot of time for the later-period major label albums, too (Shot and Blue).  His jazzier, Marc-Ribot-influenced stuff as part of the Denison/Kimball Trio is also well worth exploring, if that kind of thing floats your boat.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    I haven't heard that, thanks for the tip. 

If I had to choose my favourite DD riff, it'd probably be Pastoral. So sad yet so creepy. 
    Also, Marc Ribot <3

Saw Ceramic Dog in 2018 at the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg - incredible gig. 
  • Goat, Liar and Shot are my favourites. Down is worth a listen too. Track down a copy of Show if you can as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Loobs said:

From the live recordings i've heard, the Hiwatt rig he used sounds quite different to the sound on the Albini records. I read that on those records he also used a Marshall for more drive. The sounds he is getting from the Blackstar seem to me to be closer to those heard on those records.
    Goat, Liar and Shot are my favourites. Down is worth a listen too. Track down a copy of Show if you can as well.
    True, Boilermaker and Puss are both absolutely top tracks. 

Loobs said:

From the live recordings i've heard, the Hiwatt rig he used sounds quite different to the sound on the Albini records. I read that on those records he also used a Marshall for more drive. The sounds he is getting from the Blackstar seem to me to be closer to those heard on those records.
    Very interesting, didn't know that. 
  • One of my favourite bands ever - saw them in 1992 near the release of Liar when DD was using his classic TB1000 and I had no idea what kind of guitar it was. Absolutely phenomenal live, and with one of the most mental and greatest frontmen ever 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    Truly jealous you got to see JL live in that period. The only time I've seen Yow perform was fronting Flipper on their 40th anniversary tour last year. Of course he was in the crowd as soon as they started playing. Absolutely unhinged, and very entertaining. 
    Quite a few JL performances online where DD is using a Strat. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPlUP0Pi_xA
  • Is that a Hamer strat? I know he has played those before, usually with a single coil sized HB at the bridge.

I love the fact that David Sims has played the same cheapo Memphis Jazz Bass copy for the last 35 years!

I only saw JL once and that was when they reformed in 2009 or so, it was amazing! I got to see Scratch Acid when they reformed too.

• Quite a few JL performances online where DD is using a Strat. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPlUP0Pi_xA

I was in the crowd, it was an amazing set

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited February 2020
    Loobs said:
    Truly jealous you got to see JL live in that period. The only time I've seen Yow perform was fronting Flipper on their 40th anniversary tour last year. Of course he was in the crowd as soon as they started playing. Absolutely unhinged, and very entertaining. 
    Absolutely vicious rhythm section as well, never seen a band locked in quite like it - they were genuinelly pretty frightening. Comic relief was provided by Yow - the gig in 92 was at a small local venue (Princess Charlotte in Leicester), and people used to stash their jackets in a pile near the stage. As the gig progressed he kept picking up and putting the jackets on until at the end he was a mental sweaty mess wearing about 10 leather/denim jackets. Bravo 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Great story, the man is a true original. I read that now he's working as an actor in LA. 

When I saw Flipper last year he got off the stage and put his whole hand over a woman's face, like a spider, and held it there for the entire duration of the song. It was equal parts cringey and hilarious. After that he French kissed her boyfriend. Age obviously hasn't changed him!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Never heard of him, is he someone whose work I'll know despite not knowing the name?

I'll probably check it out anyway, always like a good Rig Rundown.

P.S. Hope it's John Bohlinger presenting it!