Guitar help

What's Hot
Firstly hello everyone and I hope this is posted in the correct place.
I have a guitar as seen in the pictures I'd like to re-string, it was given to me and I hope to give it to my young son. Problem being I know very little about this kind of thing so I need some advice. I'm unsure as to what strings i need, I know they are nylon, however do they need to be a certain size with it being a smaller guitar and is there a certain gauge I need. Also any special equipment I may need to re-created those wonderfully difficult looking knots!
https://ibb.co/mqpBM7G
Thanks in advance
Jim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    Welcome Jim.  You just need a set of classical guitar strings, choosing regular or medium gauge.  I don't think there's anything technical about it really.  If they're super long for the guitar just cut them down to a workable length with some wire cutters (or even scissors) then thread through at the bridge and try to emulate the over and under type knot you can see already on the old strings.  It looks difficult but its not and it forms into shape when you pull the the string a bit.  At the tuner end thread it through and tie any kind of knot really and then turn the tuning peg to tighten and tune.  It will get easier and look tidier the more you do it/change the strings.  A classical expert may come and give you better guidance but I think that's the basic idea.  You might also find some clips on Youtube showing you how to do it?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    For a guitar that small I would definitely not use 'normal' tension strings - they'll end up feeling and sounding like rubber bands. 'Hard' tension will feel better and stay in tune better.

Try to copy the knots you can see on the plain nylon strings at the moment - don't worry if you need to leave a bit of string loose at the back, you can always cut it off later with some scissors.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    The above is all good advice. I would only add that you should probably put the strings on first, then cut the excess off afterwards! Saves issues when you don’t know how much extra you need for tying up at the tuning pegs!
    also, there are some great you tube videos on just how to do this. I would start with “This is Classical Guitar” a website by Canadian guitarist Bradford Werner, who seems to have all the bases covered.
  • Thanks for all the help people, it is very much appreciated, I tip my hat to you all.
    Jim
  • ICBM said:
    For a guitar that small I would definitely not use 'normal' tension strings - they'll end up feeling and sounding like rubber bands. 'Hard' tension will feel better and stay in tune better.

Try to copy the knots you can see on the plain nylon strings at the moment - don't worry if you need to leave a bit of string loose at the back, you can always cut it off later with some scissors.
    Good call. Or, as the guy in the shop suggested to me when I bought one like that for my stepdaughter, tune it to G instead of E
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)