Investment advice for famous guitarists

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3401
edited February 2020 in Guitar
Buy guitar gear. Literally anything that takes your fancy. Then, flip it for 3-5 times the price because it has been owned by you.

I know, all that buying and selling is a pain so I would be prepared to do it for you, for say 5% of the profits.

Any super famous guitarists out there? Please let me know if you are interested.

Also - I thought of this first, so no-one nick my idea please. This is a get rich quick scheme with absolutely no flaws that I can see.

;-)
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3991
    I think you'll find the most profitable way for you to do this is just go ahead and sell guitars as having been owned by famous people while providing flimsy or non-existent evidence in support of the fact.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3401
    edited February 2020
    prlgmnr said:
    I think you'll find the most profitable way for you to do this is just go ahead and sell guitars as having been owned by famous people while providing flimsy or non-existent evidence in support of the fact.
    Now that's an even better idea. Why even bother being legit?

Do you want some equity in my business? I could do with someone who is able to offer that sort of advice on an ongoing basis.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Surely super famous guitarists can make money by playing? Or is there a very long game plan I’m not aware of? Gilmour didn’t take a penny from his sale. I bet Christie’s did though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11890
    Surely it would be easy to put everything on Black.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    AlexC said:
    Surely super famous guitarists can make money by playing? Or is there a very long game plan I’m not aware of? Gilmour didn’t take a penny from his sale. I bet Christie’s did though.
    Yes, but just wait until I show them how much more money they can make. Without even lifing a finger.

I'll probably do the same thing with footballers once I've got my first revenue stream up and running.
    Just imagine. Nike Premier League Strike, previously owned by Sergio Aguero. Someone would pay £50 for that easy.

I'm going to be rich! Then I can buy myself a Ferrari, formerly owned by Jay Kay.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3991
    NelsonP said:
    prlgmnr said:

Do you want some equity in my business? I could do with someone who is able to offer that sort of advice on an ongoing basis.
    I think this advice is probably already worth a 50% share.

I'll set us up a Reverb store, let's say.... Shmessex Recordings Tudio
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    Isn't this literally the Joe Bonamassa business model?

I heard he also tries to negotiate big discounts by telling stores they get to tell people they sold him something and so must be legit. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    prlgmnr said:
    NelsonP said:
    prlgmnr said:

I think this advice is probably already worth a 50% share.

I'll set us up a Reverb store, let's say.... Shmessex Recordings Tudio
    Nice. I was thinking of calling it Music Round actually, but that'll do.
  • It’s the Gene Simmons model - he plays a new bass for every gig and sells it on at a profit. I kinda think he’s probably making enough money anyway but apparently not. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited February 2020
    Damn. I have a competitor already. I knew I shouldn't have posted my idea on a public forum.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/W-A-S-P-Blackie-Lawless-owned-stage-used-BC-Rich-Warlock-guitar-legendary-WASP-/132203705209

I noticed that the details say "Both guitar and case have not been cleaned since last used by Blackie on 10/7/2001". Yuk!
    So, I am not disheartened. There is clear room for improvement there.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Various well known musos keep starting up Reverb shops to get rid rid of all their stuff at inflated prices just because of their connection to it.
  • Like this https://www.adverts.ie/autographs/michael-jackson-autograph-signed-strat-scratch-plate-pickguard-with-coa/2800757

I googled the company that issued the certificate of authenticity and amongst the memorabilia community they seem to be regarded as suspect, as in you tell them what you would like signed by what celebrity and they just somehow manage to have it.
  • I have a Squier Strat, once owned my Jimi Hendrix. One string missing but easy fixed. £1000.
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    Change you name by deed-pole to that of a famous guitarist. Buy guitar - make sure you get receipt from the shop in your new name. Sell guitar at vast profit as an instrument owned by _______, with supporting evidence.

Rinse and repeat.

=)
    ^^^

Hmm. Interesting idea.

If your name is James Hendrix, Saul Hudson, Eric Clapton or Robert Chapman, please get in touch. I have a business proposition for you.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    NelsonP said:
    ^^^

Hmm. Interesting idea.

If your name is James Hendrix, Saul Hudson, Eric Clapton or Robert Chapman, please get in touch. I have a business proposition for you.
    Not interested in the others, but I’m ready to pay top dollar for anything played by the monkey lord  ;)