POLL: If you could only have one...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    proggy said:

I would have a 4 string and it would have to be a Jazz Bass.

I really can't see the point of that psychedelic 2 string bass thing or understand why anyone would bother with it.

The thin neck, especially at nut must make it uncomfortable to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    Rocker said:
    @ICBM ;;

Here you go!

It is real!
    What is the purpose of the third control knob?   Assuming one is volume, the second is tone....
    Volume, Treble, Bass.

The Volume is a Push Pull to swap between active and passive. When in passive mode the Treble Control turns into a passive tone control from the centre position downwards. It's quite clever.

I'm not a fan of those Delano pickups though. Their modern soapbars are fantastic, but their take on P and J pickups leave me cold.

Rocker said:
    ICBM said:
    Rocker said:

What is the purpose of the third control knob?   Assuming one is volume, the second is tone....
    I assume it's active, so it's volume/tone/hiss.
    Maybe each string has a separate volume control :)
    Victor Wooten has a 4 string where each string not only has a separate volume but also a separate output as well.
    He uses it to create soundscapes where the notes come from different places in the auditorium.
    It's a very unusual effect and quite interesting for unaccompanied pieces.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    proggy said:

I would have a 4 string and it would have to be a Jazz Bass.

I really can't see the point of that psychedelic 2 string bass thing or understand why anyone would bother with it.

Me neither. I like the body colour but can't imagine anyone could find that thinness of neck more comfortable than a 3-string version which would also be more practical.

Really though I still think I'd find 3 limiting, if I was playing a root note on the A string I'd have the same need for a G string as I would have a need for the D when playing the root on the E.

I suppose at the extreme end of things, 11 frets and one string is all that's needed to at least play a simple bass line.

Here's Brushy playing his One-String:

Rocker said:
    ICBM said:
    Rocker said:

Victor Wooten has a 4 string where each string not only has a separate volume but also a separate output as well.
    He uses it to create soundscapes where the notes come from different places in the auditorium.

Sounds cool but defo seems like it would have to be for a specific performance.

I quite like the idea of Billy Sheehan's dual output bass for every day bass playing. It has a neck pickup right up at the fretboard with its own output and a normally positioned P-style pickup going to a different output.

Not sure how he does it but to me it seems like it would be great for using the neck one to an amp or subwoofer PA as just a pure solid low end thing, almost like a sine wave synth, since the cleanest lowest tone comes from a neck pickup then the P can go to a normal bass amp to sound more like a bass guitar with all the grunt, harmonics, string noise, distortion etc.

Kind of like an alternative way of triggering a sine wave synth (or sometimes even 808 samples) from the bass guitar recording just to get the proper sub lows. I like the idea of this theoretically a lot, the thing that stops me doing it so much is that I have such inadequate sub monitoring and it's hard to judge the level of sub bass. Not only that but even if I had a great monitoring system, a lot of people listen in rooms with big bass peaks and nulls so even if it sounded perfectly balanced in a mastering studio, some people can play it back in a room that makes it overpowering (happens when listening to hiphop, sometimes the sub bass will just overpower everything on some notes).
    thegummy said:
    Rocker said:
    ICBM said:
    Rocker said:

Sounds cool but defo seems like it would have to be for a specific performance.

I quite like the idea of Billy Sheehan's dual output bass for every day bass playing. It has a neck pickup right up at the fretboard with its own output and a normally positioned P-style pickup going to a different output.

Not sure how he does it but to me it seems like it would be great for using the neck one to an amp or subwoofer PA as just a pure solid low end thing, almost like a sine wave synth, since the cleanest lowest tone comes from a neck pickup then the P can go to a normal bass amp to sound more like a bass guitar with all the grunt, harmonics, string noise, distortion etc.

Kind of like an alternative way of triggering a sine wave synth (or sometimes even 808 samples) from the bass guitar recording just to get the proper sub lows. I like the idea of this theoretically a lot, the thing that stops me doing it so much is that I have such inadequate sub monitoring and it's hard to judge the level of sub bass. Not only that but even if I had a great monitoring system, a lot of people listen in rooms with big bass peaks and nulls so even if it sounded perfectly balanced in a mastering studio, some people can play it back in a room that makes it overpowering (happens when listening to hiphop, sometimes the sub bass will just overpower everything on some notes).
    I ran pretty much a copy of Sheehan's rig for a few years, including a Yamaha Attitude and a modded Status.

Super deep, compressed and clean on the neck pickup, and the all drive and FX on the other, but still blended with another clean.

2 separate stacks. I had a few versions of it.

FIrst was pedals into a Hartke HA3500 head and Marshall VBC412 for high and drive and an Ashdown 400H and another Marshall VBC412 for the lows.

Then a Rack with a Bass Pod Pro and an Ampeg SVP-BSP (Sheehan sig) both giving a clean and dirty into a 5000W yamaha power amp etc

It was amazing. And weighed over 400 lb all in!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I ran pretty much a copy of Sheehan's rig for a few years, including a Yamaha Attitude and a modded Status.

Super deep, compressed and clean on the neck pickup, and the all drive and FX on the other, but still blended with another clean.

2 separate stacks. I had a few versions of it.

FIrst was pedals into a Hartke HA3500 head and Marshall VBC412 for high and drive and an Ashdown 400H and another Marshall VBC412 for the lows.

Then a Rack with a Bass Pod Pro and an Ampeg SVP-BSP (Sheehan sig) both giving a clean and dirty into a 5000W yamaha power amp etc

It was amazing. And weighed over 400 lb all in!
    Very impressive, do you have any videos or even photos of the rig or of you playing through it?
    I think I have a few pics,
    Ill have a look. 
    Rack 2

Ampeg SVP-BSP
    Bass Pod Pro
    Pod (Backup)
    Yamaha P5000S

Earlier version

Ampeg BSP-SVP
    Pod
    Behringer Compressor
    Hartke HA3500
    Ashdown MAH400H

Can't find a cab photo at the moment. Or when it was pedal based rather than rack.
    Pretty cool man.

What was the POD used for, was that for when you wanted a driven sound out of it you'd add that in or would you even have it running on clean tones for a more subtle amp sim?
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    4 String Jazz Bass.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 259
    Never thought I would ever part with my Sei headless 5, but eventually the width of the neck became too much for the wrinkley fingers, now my forever bass is a 31.5” scale fretless 4.
    thegummy said:
    Pretty cool man.

What was the POD used for, was that for when you wanted a driven sound out of it you'd add that in or would you even have it running on clean tones for a more subtle amp sim?
    The guitar POD was a backup. The Ampeg Preamp is 2 blended channels - drive and clean. The Basspod did all the lows / compression.

The Guitar Pod did have all the extra bass packs in it though.
    thegummy said:
    Pretty cool man.

The guitar POD was a backup. The Ampeg Preamp is 2 blended channels - drive and clean. The Basspod did all the lows / compression.

The Guitar Pod did have all the extra bass packs in it though.
    Cool man. Dirty bass is something I've always struggled with. I mainly use clean but when I hear a nice distorted tone I do wish I could nail it.

Best I got was a sim of an Orange bass amp turned up but it wasn't tried with a band so quite possibly wouldn't be as good in context.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I'd go for a 5.   A 5 gives you more range and tend to come with bigger, fatter sounding pickups.  The upsides to a 4 are the wider string spacing and they're cheaper to restring. 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
    Five String - any day. I record a lot of songs in D and in C#min. The 5th string allows a low D and C#
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Rocker said:
    As @ICBM said '4 string'. USA made Fender Precision.  All I need now is a 'talent boost' pedal.  Suggestions most welcome.
    ha yes. I find a few beers have the same effect. I think I am immensely talented after a few sherbets. Unlike anyone else.
  • wraubwraub Frets: 27
    edited May 2021
    I have several 4 string basses, and I have 2 5 string basses.

I like choices.

However, only one? This-