Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much do you wipe it down after? ( oooer missus, fnarrr, cyack cyack hurrr hurrr etc )

What's Hot
Hi all, I am quite a sweaty person ( feel free to judge me ) and tend to give my guitars a proper wipe down and a run over with fast fret when I get it home after a jam night or a gig, and when I practice. ( most times it gets a polish as well, because I don't want to leave any of my precious bodily fluids on the thing in case they burn through the finish. I am only half joking here ) and was wondering what your procedure ( if any ) consists of? 
do you just lean it up against a radiator whilst muttering something about not being some kind of gear head, or do you lovingly wipe every string down individually then clean it down with a mixture of swan feather cloth and a polish rendered from polar bears or something? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I don't sweat all that much, so I never wipe it down. If it looks a bit grubby, I'll give it a lil clean during restringing, but that's about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5409
    I'm a slovenly peasant so unless the guitar's in a right old state (normally it isn't, even if I've been sweating) it just goes straight back in the case. If it's been a particularly drippy session, then any active splash marks might get the edge of the t-shirt treatment, otherwise pack it away and forget about it.

However, my sweat appears not to be mad corrosive, which is handy, so worst is ending up with slightly dull bodies where my forearm rests.
  • 8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14395
    tFB Trader
    I'd wipe the neck down whilst finger marks are still fresh  - Either just breathe on the neck and wipe down - If to much sweat then a 'barely damp' cloth might help, or a spray polish on the cloth and a wipe down - Leave the neck to long with to much sweat and it builds up to fill 'manky' - As to the body, then repeat as above but I know some players aren't fussed about this and others are very careful about it 

Use an ultra soft cloth, not your cheap 5 for a £1 bargain buy yellow dusters

As for fingerboard and frets, then attend to this as and when you re-string
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33847
    I don't sweat much.
    I lemon oil the fingerboard and clean the guitar every few string changes.
    That's it.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Have never once wiped down a guitar after playing it in my 25 years of owning them and don't believe I've suffered for it.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4284
    I wipe it on the curtains before I leave.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14395
    tFB Trader
    It is interesting to see the state of part exchanges that I'm offered - You get the mint condition versions that have been played on a regular basis, yet polished and cared  - Then you get the version that has never been touched, regarding maintenance, in the last 10/20 years, with green/manky frets, any screws covered in muck so they barely work and sweat marks that are ingrained into the gloss finish - And of course many in between versions

I trade in all of them, in any condition, yet find the 'dirty' version often more enjoyable to get ready for re-sale - Something about a test and challenge

Yet also find the level of what a customer considers to be 'mint condition' compared to my interpretation - I'm talking about when they ring you up to discuss a potential trade in and they tell you it is spotless - Then you see it and it is closer to a Gibson VOS finish, or even a Custom Shop Closet finish then mint 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10278
    Can't be arsed with all that.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14577
    I know three or four people with advanced corrosive sweat. If any of them has a go on my instruments, I clean the strings immediately. Of these four, the one I encounter most frequently can reduce brand new strings to a dull thud within eight days. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I have a bunch of dunlop untreated cloths. 

After playing I wrap each string and give it a good old slide up n down, gets the underneath of the strings clean. Then I wipe the top of the strings and the fretboard/inbetween the strings. 

Then the back of the neck. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Quick rub down the strings with a microfiber cloth and that's it.
    Occasionally wipe the strings over with a cloth spritzed with a tiny squirt of WD40, brings out a bit of zing to the sound of tired strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I always give the guitar a good wipe down with a towel after a gig. And I clean the strings before every gig with that Kyser stuff. A set of strings seems to last me a good few gigs that way, although I’m not particularly sweaty. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I wipe the strings after each play. I clean my Guitar's Frets (Gorgomyte) and Oil the Boards once a year. Don't need to polish the Bodies of the Guitars much or wipe the necks much as my hands are usually clean before playing.

Like Prince Andrew, I don't sweat excessively and I wouldn't pick up my Guitars right after going to Pizza Express.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10895
    If I'm very sweaty I'll wipe the strings with the bottom of my t shirt before it goes in the case. But I'm not often sweaty
  • Depends how hard I've spanked it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    I'm absolutely soaked after a gig so the guitar is too. 
    Got a cloth in the case to wipe the stings and neck, pretty sure it extends the life of the strings. 
    Use lighter fluid to get the sweat off the body when I put new strings on.  Don't know where the hell I got the idea to use that!  Obviously I don't set fire to it, just wipe the cack off. 
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    My hands don't sweat at all ever.
    If I'm playing on a hot summer day / night, my arms might, in which case I'll give the body a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth and call it a day.
    When I restring then yeah I'll clean a bit more.
  • Saw a guy in a pub in a covers band once, he wiped the strings and neck down after every song. I think he was using talcum powder as well.
  • I sweat buckets on stage,  literally soaking afterwards.   Like Angus young.   Change strings every 2 gigs and give guitar a meticulous clean and polish.  I love it.  I should be a guitar cleaner for a living.