Home-reliced custom shop tele

What's Hot
bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
Only mildly- but the previous owner has sanded the finish off the back of the neck. I bet it feels much better than with the finish on so not bothered in that respect but it can't help the resale if I wanted to sell.. still pretty tempted but wouldn't want to overpay considering, what do you think is a reasonable price also taking into account it's through a dealer:

https://www.soundaffects.com/pre-owned-c101/2010-1962-reissue-bound-telecaster-in-blue-sparkle-pre-owned-p11769
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Interestingly they've got a 2017 plaintop R8 for £3k....which is about £500 more than most people bought them for new. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    I think that’s a reasonable price.  I think they’ve had it in for a while and the price may even have come down a bit.  I owned exactly the same model/year in chartreuse sparkle and it was a top Telecaster.  My one hand hand wound 63 pickup in the neck position (Abi) the other one was a hand wound Texas Special (Josefina).  Sounded great.  From the look of the pic of the back of the neck I don’t think that would affect value personally.  If you like the look I’d go for it. (My 3TSB is worth considering too though)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnl said:
    Interestingly they've got a 2017 plaintop R8 for £3k....which is about £500 more than most people bought them for new. 
    ...but still about right from a shop. 

They're still selling for £2300-2600 second hand privately. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    They’ve had that guitar for ages. If you buy it, you need to want it as a keeper. Sparkle tops aren’t popular on Fenders (despite the upcharge) and the “work” and crack they mention aren’t going to do it any favours. You’d do well to get £1800 if you sell in my view. Even from a shop, I would pay more than £2000
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the colour, couldn’t care less about the neck - but the split in the lacquer would bug me. 

Regarding resell issues - Seeing as someone on here was complaining about their relic Tele having marks on it that didn’t look like they came from the factor, I guess it depends on how picky (I’m choosing not to use insulting words here) the perspective new buyer was. 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    chris78 said:
    They’ve had that guitar for ages. If you buy it, you need to want it as a keeper. Sparkle tops aren’t popular on Fenders (despite the upcharge) and the “work” and crack they mention aren’t going to do it any favours. You’d do well to get £1800 if you sell in my view. Even from a shop, I would pay more than £2000
    I didn't read the detail.  Is the "work" the neck sanding?  I think the crack probably would affect resale price.  It's funny.  My one came from Coda where they had the NOS and the relic version in chartreuse sparkle.  The relic version being £2-300 more.  Here we've got a genuine crack in the finish and it will probably reduce the price by £2-300.  Crazy.
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    The crack is a bit of an odd one not being in the clearcoat but presumably in the colour coat. And it's quite long and a perfectly straight line, haven't seen anything like it. It's too far away to go and try and I'd need to be able to sell it on without too much of a loss if I didn't get on with it so might be better left alone. I can't see them accepting an offer of less than £2000.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10263
    Seems very overpriced to me. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16740
    bloomer said:
    The crack is a bit of an odd one not being in the clearcoat but presumably in the colour coat. And it's quite long and a perfectly straight line, haven't seen anything like it. 
    There is a small one coming from the screw on the corner of the plate, near the bridge.  Looks like lacquer checking to me
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
     there is a small hairline split in the lacquer on top of the body. The split itself is not structural and is beneath the top coat of the lacquer so is smooth to touch, but is only apparent when it catches the light in a certain way. There is also a small instance of this on the back of the neck.”

Its quite amusing to read this tbh. It’s written in a naive and apologetic manner by someone who clearly doesn’t knowing what checking is. 

It would be better if they had written “The paint finish shows signs of lacquer checking which is typical of a nitro finished guitar.”
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I'm more concerned about websites that use grey lettering on a black background. I don't bother trying to read them.
  • Sassafras said:
    I'm more concerned about websites that use grey lettering on a black background. I don't bother trying to read them.
    they're the bits they don't want you to read ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw that in the shop, I could see a line on the body from across the room but it was much harder to see close up. It's a nice guitar and I thought it was a commission sale but I could be wrong because it's been there a while.
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    “ there is a small hairline split in the lacquer on top of the body. The split itself is not structural and is beneath the top coat of the lacquer so is smooth to touch, but is only apparent when it catches the light in a certain way. There is also a small instance of this on the back of the neck.”

Its quite amusing to read this tbh. It’s written in a naive and apologetic manner by someone who clearly doesn’t knowing what checking is. 

It would be better if they had written “The paint finish shows signs of lacquer checking which is typical of a nitro finished guitar.”
    It didn't occur to me that someone selling a custom shop guitar wouldn't be able to identify lacquer checking! Although in this case it has formed a particularly long straight line that isn't necessarily nice to look at. Still if it checks more as it ages it will start to blend in a bit. If it's been there a while maybe there's a bit of room for negotiation in the price. I might put in a lowish offer and see what happens.
    this likely only had 1 crack at one point in its life

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    I saw that in the shop, I could see a line on the body from across the room but it was much harder to see close up. It's a nice guitar and I thought it was a commission sale but I could be wrong because it's been there a while.
    You're quite right - Please note that we are selling this guitar on commission for a good customer of ours
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3524
    OMG, its sparkly , and , its a Tele. Lust.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited February 2020
    The split in the lacquer is pretty noticeable close up. I've seen it and picked it up a few times. I reckon it's been there for over a year.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could get that for £2100-ish, bearing in mind that they take a 20% commission.
    Call me Dave.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    WezV said:

I cannot express in strong enough terms the lust I feel for that guitar. Any more info on it?
    johnl said:
    WezV said:

I cannot express in strong enough terms the lust I feel for that guitar. Any more info on it?
    It's great isn't it.   One of the earliest with the lack of neck binding and corner screw P90, and the bridge swap and bigsby means it should actually play better. 

I do wonder at what point the checking stopped being annoying and started being pretty