Anyone know this type of bridge/tailpiece?

What's Hot
the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1801
Does anyone know who makes a bridge/tailpiece like this one? Follow up question to that is are they likely to fit a guitar with a regular tune o matic style bridge? (I’m aware there would be holes left where the tailpiece was)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    Not sure on that style, but it's a replacement for a wraparound by the looks of it, not a tuneomatic
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Not a very nice looking contraption.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72544
    I like it - it avoids one of the most annoying problems of a wraparound, which is the strings being wrapped around! ... so changing them is a pain.

I don't know who made it, but it looks quite well-engineered.

It also quite definitely isn't intonated right :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    edited February 2020
    Schaller, Gotoh and Leo Quan BadAss immediately spring to mind.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I was thinking Badass as well.

Looks like it might have been intonated for a lefty at some point :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31647
    Somebody makes a kind of harp shaped version too which is quite nice, but I think they're all spaced for tailpiece rather than bridge studs.
  • Looks like a Gordon Smith, maybe?
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1801
    Thanks all, the one in the photo is from an old Hofner (a T4ST) and I was hoping to replicate it or something similar at least but as @p90fool has said, and something I’d not realised was that it won’t fit in the position of a bridge due to the bridge and tailpiece spacing being different. I’d have to modify quite a bit to get it to work. 
    Aha... it seems to be made by Schaller, and is actually original to that Hofner.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hofnerhounds/looking-for-the-name-of-hofner-t4s-schaller-bridge-t1682.html

Forgot to say - no, it will not fit tune-o-matic mounting positions, it appears to be the same spacing as a Gibson stopbar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ah, cheers @ICBM ;

Not at all sure it’d be worth nodding a guitar just for fitting something like that so think I’ll stick as it is. 

Thanks all
    edited February 2020
    After some searching I’ve found this Schaller built Ovation bridge of the same vintage as the Hofner one. Not quite the same but looks pretty similar. Slightly better looking if anything. Spotted it on German eBay. 

I’ve decided to take a punt and see if I can make it work. 

We’ll see. 
    Adding the link would have helped 
    the_jaffa said:
    After some searching I’ve found this Schaller built Ovation bridge of the same vintage as the Hofner one. Not quite the same but looks pretty similar. Slightly better looking if anything. Spotted it on German eBay. 

I’ve decided to take a punt and see if I can make it work. 

We’ll see. 
    That's designed for stopbar mounting centres, your bridge posts will be about 8-10mm closer together than that I'd guess. 
    Yup, I discovered that a bit ago. I’m going to look at modding my guitar to make it fit
    Might it be possible by getting some kind of eccentric studs made? 
    Yeah, either that or filling the existing holes and drilling new ones. I’m repainting the guitar anyway and it’s a bit of a project so that would be fine
    There is a Schaller vibrato tailpiece that bizarrely fits tune-o-matic post spacing... the 4201 model - but I’m not really happy with the idea of using such small stud holes to take the full string tension, so you’d probably want bigger ones anyway.

edited February 2020
    I’d not thought about the diameter of the post so that’s a great call. Definitely think plugging and redrilling sounds like the right plan
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    p90fool said:
    Somebody makes a kind of harp shaped version too which is quite nice, but I think they're all spaced for tailpiece rather than bridge studs.
    Schroder I think it is.