I like My Simon Neil Sig Squire Classic Vibe Strat almost as much as my '88 Strat Plus...

What's Hot
jeromegreendayjeromegreenday Frets: 173
edited February 2020 in Guitar
Please tell me I'm not crazy, I've had my Simon neil Squire classic vibe next to my '88 strat plus.
If I strum them both unplugged, the '88 sounds maybe 5% louder acoustically
If I strum them both unplugged the '88 sustains maybe 5% longer acoustically.

I've changed the pickups on the '88, SSL-5 in the bridge, CS 69 in the bridge, Fat 50's in the neck
Both sound really really similar plugged in to a peavey classic 50, the '88 sounds a little fuller. thicker. The squire does get a bit muddy the more gain / overdrive I chuck at the pups.

The squire is totally stock, no pots, caps, saddles or bridge block upgrades. I love the gloss neck and playing it, it felt like one of the nicest set up / finished guitars I've ever just walked up to and started playing.

The '88 is worth nearly a £1000 more, I know Jonathan at Feline likes a classic vibe. I know people have said the Classic Vibes are just as good as any MIM effort, I know a squire will NEVER be up to a made in USA standard but is there anyone else who thinks 'Christ that's way too much bang for their Buck?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Trust your hands and your ears. 

My #1 and only strat is a Squier that's been modded to hell and back and whose current parts probably cost me north of 800 in total, but it's a genuinely exceptional guitar that I wouldn't swap for any CS Fender I've ever played. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • My main nowadays is a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster. Heavily modded but I absolutely adore it. 

I've had Avri, AV65, Roadworn and many other way more expensive JMs that have all gone  and the Squier is staying. It's never going anywhere. Ever. 

Of course this doesn't stop me constantly wanting and sometimes buying expensive guitars still.. although I wish it would. 
  • The only Strat I have (or have ever had now I think of it) is another beaten and modded to hell and back Squier I bought 30 years ago. Great sounding thing, great neck, I'll never part with it.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Is an 88 Strat really worth more than 1000 quid?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've only ever owned one Strat, it was a Squier Contemporary Active. I had a Charvel San Dimas at the same time, and tbh the Squier got more play: the necks were virtually identical, but I preferred the pickups in the Squier (plus it had a Floyd, the Charvel was hardtail). To buy new the Charvel was almost exactly double the price of the Squier
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10266
    edited February 2020
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    thegummy said:
    Is an 88 Strat really worth more than 1000 quid?

only if you have one
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I owned one of these which I think I sold to @blueskunk a few years back (throughly cool dude he was as well!) 

it was a bloody brilliant guitar. I wished they would spec a slightly more vintage style neck but it was a killer guitar and my main gigging guitar for a long while replacing a £2.5k CS tele I had at the time
    How very rock and roll
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Please tell me I'm not crazy, I've had my Simon neil Squire classic vibe next to my '88 strat plus.

I've changed the pickups on the '88, SSL-5 in the bridge, CS 69 in the bridge, Fat 50's in the neck
    Both sound really really similar plugged in to a peavey classic 50, the '88 sounds a little fuller. thicker. The squire does get a bit muddy the more gain / overdrive I chuck at the pups.

The squire is totally stock, no pots, caps, saddles or bridge block upgrades. I love the gloss neck and playing it, it felt like one of the nicest set up / finished guitars I've ever just walked up to and started playing.

The '88 is worth nearly a £1000 more, I know Jonathan at Feline likes a classic vibe. I know people have said the Classic Vibes are just as good as any MIM effort, I know a squire will NEVER be up to a made in USA standard but is there anyone else who thinks 'Christ that's way too much bang for their Buck?'

Years ago someone form Fender told me that they knew they had made the Simon Neil Squier too good, so you're not crazy :)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • I have a Simon Neil Stratocaster and it’s an excellent guitar. I’m unable to comment on its original out of the box condition as I bought it used from an eBay seller who had replaced the pots, jack socket  and switch with top quality USA parts, put in  paper in oil tone capacitor and a cold rolled steel tremolo block. I own Stratocasters made in USA, Japan, Mexico and China and it’s an outstanding guitar.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660

So turns out a Fender master builders number 1 is a Squier 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/158819/what-squier-would-a-fender-master-builder-buy/p1
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    His number one Squier is a Squier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• I had one of these until only very recently and it was brilliant. I only moved it on to get some funds together for something with humbuckers. The one mod I would recommend though is to wire the Bridge pickup to one of the Tone controls to tame the harshness.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    edited February 2020
    It's funny - a while back someone on here was trying to move one of these on, and I found myself very tempted.
    Sounds like I should have jumped on it as an affordable way to scratch the strat itch.

I ended up buying a Squier J Mascis and it's a great guitar. It's got some nice mods on it and has had a good setup, but it plays and sounds like a guitar at least twice the price.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I think if the basic wood is sound. Upgrades will get you there. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    I owned one of these which I think I sold to @blueskunk a few years back (throughly cool dude he was as well!) 

it was a bloody brilliant guitar. I wished they would spec a slightly more vintage style neck but it was a killer guitar and my main gigging guitar for a long while replacing a £2.5k CS tele I had at the time
    @benmurray85 Yes mate, I have had another since and stupidly sold it. Hope all is good with you my brother.  Peace. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4938
    What is this "Squire" brand?