SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - SHURE SM7B

........anybody selling one   ??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve got an SM7B and also a Golden Age Projects D2 - the D2 sounds as good to my ears and is less than half the price of the Shure. 

• robwright said:
    I’ve got an SM7B and also a Golden Age Projects D2 - the D2 sounds as good to my ears and is less than half the price of the Shure. 
    Ok Thanks.
    I am looking for a large diaphram dynamic for my home studio, so will certainly check out the Golden age D2

Do you find it neccessary to use an XLR pre-amp such as Cloudlifter etc with either your SM7B or D2  ?

Thanks.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2430
    Just FYI there is no such thing as a "large diaphragm dynamic". It's a Gearslutz myth. The element in the SM7 is almost identical to that used in the SM57, it just happens to be in a large housing!
  • robwright said:
    I’ve got an SM7B and also a Golden Age Projects D2 - the D2 sounds as good to my ears and is less than half the price of the Shure. 
    Ok Thanks.
    I am looking for a large diaphram dynamic for my home studio, so will certainly check out the Golden age D2

Do you find it neccessary to use an XLR pre-amp such as Cloudlifter etc with either your SM7B or D2  ?

Thanks.

Never had to use a preamp - lots of gain on my Presonus Studiolive so level has never been a problem 

• Stuckfast said:
    Just FYI there is no such thing as a "large diaphragm dynamic". It's a Gearslutz myth. The element in the SM7 is almost identical to that used in the SM57, it just happens to be in a large housing!
    So.... Am l wasting my hard earned cash.?......

I have an SM57,  an SM58......( and a Sennheiser 609.)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33868
    edited February 2020
    Stuckfast said:

What do you want it for?
    SM7 is a great mic- I use it for shouty vocals, voice overs and the like.
    If you want it for a general purpose vocal mic then there are better options out there and IMHO better dynamics.
    The SM7 doesn't sound exactly like a 57, it's just that the difference has nothing to do with the size of the diaphragm, which is the same. The shape of the housing makes a difference, and I believe the SM7 is also transformerless whereas the 57 has a slightly inadequate transformer which helps make it sound the way it does.

Agree with octatonic that the SM7 is really useful for 'difficult' vocals -- shouty singers, people who insist on eating the mic, sessions where there's a lot of spill etc. It's also a good mic on guitar amps, though there are plenty of cheaper options that do well there too. If you've already got a 57 then an SM7 wouldn't be next on the list for me, unless you want it specifically for that sort of vocal role.
  • octatonic said:
    Stuckfast said:

What do you want it for?
    SM7 is a great mic- I use it for shouty vocals, voice overs and the like.
    If you want it for a general purpose vocal mic then there are better options out there and IMHO better dynamics.

OK, maybe l need to re-think this.
    What l am looking for is decent dynamic mic for 'normal' - not necessarily shouty - vocals for use in a mostly untreated room.  The room l use is at the back of my house and fairly quiet but l find that condenser mics still pick up too much noise.

Since reading replies, l have looked at others in pretty much the same price range as the Sm7b,.......... EV320 and Aston Stealth.
    Unless anyone has any opinions, l reckon l will just have to pick one and go for it..... 

Thanks. 
  • It’s not a studio mic, but I have recently bought a Sontronics Solo and that was £100 well spent! Very smooth sound - none of the harshness of most dynamics mics. 

Buying a new mic won't solve the actual problem here, which is the room. Either spend the money on acoustic treatment, or if it's not practical to treat the room permanently, spend some time working out how you can improvise effective damping. For instance if you can get two or three heavy duvets and suspend them from frames or stands that will make a huge difference.