Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pao Ferro

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
Is this here to stay or will Fender go back to rosewood for mexican-made guitars? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    i don't see why it shouldn't be here to stay.  its a damn fine alternative

i actually used it on my first guitar build about 18 years ago
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    It's an excellent fingerboard wood with some of the characteristics of both rosewood and ebony, something of a halfway house between the two.

Some of the types of wood called 'rosewood' are less closely related than some types that are called something different anyway. The guitar community shouldn't get so hung up about a name...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a vintera with a PF board. Can I tell the difference? Nope. Do I care? Nope. Sounds good, feels good - as far as I'm concerned they should continue to use it. I may be wrong as I've only had limited experience with what I've played in the shops but it seems more consistent than RW. Every PF board i've played felt great but some RWs had much more open grain which doesn't feel as good to me. That's probably just in my head mind you...

I wish they wouldn't dye it though, the dye is still coming off on my fingers after a couple of weeks.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have it on a Suhr Classic,  had it around 20 years old now and really like it. Having first come across it on a high end guitar I've always thought of it as an upgrade on rosewood rather than a cheaper substitute.  Looks like rosewood, feels like ebony.

I particularly like the way its darkened with use - the wood has darkened nicely without looking in any way grubby the way darkened wood can.

We're talking fine differences - I'm equally happy with rosewood or ebony - but I do like it.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    If they have to dye it, then I'd prefer if they use something else that is the "correct" shade of brown. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9306
    I’ve got pau ferro on an Asher guitar and it’s fine. On the Mexican fender stuff though, I’ve seen dry pale stuff that isn’t attractive to me. 
    FWIW, I’m more that happy with alternative woods. My latest favourite fretboard wood is African Blackwood. It’s got an amazing sleek feel under the hands. I also think it’s great when people like Patrick Eggle experiment with alternate woods. He’s used the likes of bog oak for his necks on his electrics and I’d love to try that.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    edited February 2020
    If they called it Bolivian Rosewood like Gibson does then I can't imagine this would even be a question.

It is a great wood... but I do suspect that Fender gets the dregs compared to what the boutique guys have access to.

It is more expensive than Indian rosewood per board foot, but at the same time there is complexity on the acquisition of raw materials (EIR) end of things still for Fender that adds some admin, even though there is no longer any issue with the finished products, so it may not be that much of a savings to change back, plus they can use it as an upsell...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Branshen said:
    If they have to dye it, then I'd prefer if they use something else that is the "correct" shade of brown. 
    what if the wood that is the "correct shade of brown" is actually inferior to pau ferro?   Personally I'd prefer they left it un-dyed and use the better wood...   although i'm not against using fretboard stain when needed

There are some woods that come close to having the colour and properties of indian rosewood, but not at the same price point and availability as indian rosewood or pau ferro
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    One of my fave Strat necks is PF. Sounds and feels ace. Not bothered about the colour... its kinda wood coloured.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I'm unlikely to buy a Fender with a Pau Ferro board, as I've only seen orange and streaky bacon versions. But then I'm also unlikely to buy a guitar with a bad rosewood board too. I don't own loads of guitars, so what I do have, I want to be right for me.
  • I imagine Fender (and others) will go back to Indian RW as generally it is cheaper and easier to work with than PF.
  • Found this article: https://www.gearnews.com/cites-lifts-rosewood-ban-for-guitars-and-other-musical-instruments/

Sounds like shipping "finished" instruments overseas is no longer affected, but shipping raw materials is still. I guess it depends on where the rosewood comes from - if it's sourced from within Mexico then it could be shipped to Fender's factories without crossing a border, but importing rosewood from outside Mexico would still be restricted?
  • Found this article: https://www.gearnews.com/cites-lifts-rosewood-ban-for-guitars-and-other-musical-instruments/

Sounds like shipping "finished" instruments overseas is no longer affected, but shipping raw materials is still. I guess it depends on where the rosewood comes from - if it's sourced from within Mexico then it could be shipped to Fender's factories without crossing a border, but importing rosewood from outside Mexico would still be restricted?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Babones said:
    I'm unlikely to buy a Fender with a Pau Ferro board, as I've only seen orange and streaky bacon versions. But then I'm also unlikely to buy a guitar with a bad rosewood board too. I don't own loads of guitars, so what I do have, I want to be right for me.

Don't get too hung up on colour as an indication of quality.  I had a 1990 PRS with a Brazilian board that was very light in colour.  Probably lighter than any Indian rosewood board that I've had (and I've had a lot).
  • I’m sure it sounds great but to me it just ‘looks’’ horrible when it’s the lighter shade that it often comes in. It looks like a rosewood guitar that has been left in sunlight and not been conditioned for 20 years. Not a fan. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited February 2020
    HS2 has rosewood sleepers .Thats why its expensive but will sound great .
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2020
    I have Vintera strat and the PF board is fine. I think the only negatives I’ve read is the colour of it which is a bit crazy if you ask me as it’s only aesthetics which we shouldn’t really care about but of course some of us do lol. I have no qualms   
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Here's a good comparison - 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Came up lovely on my mate’s new Epi Dot.

https://flic.kr/p/2itsTX1

• Came up lovely on my mate’s new Epi Dot.

https://flic.kr/p/2itsTX1

Did you stain that @noisepolluter ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/