Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar came back from tech with nitro burns - what would you do?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    WezV said:
    Did you make the tech aware of the finish and thay he should be careful what stands he puts it on?
    You really shouldn't need to.   I say that from the techs perspective
    Well it seems that in this case he wasn't aware of what could happen, so mentioning it might have been prudent.
    One of the most fun parts of finding a tech to do a job for you is trying to work out, without insulting them, if they are about to charge you a load of money despite actually having less knowledge than you about the job at hand.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11840
    Surely you just keep sending the guitar back to the same tech over and over.

Then sell it for twice what you paid for it as "relic'd"?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This will have been carelessness rather than ignorance. The owner is an experienced player whose played Gibsons for decades. Not a chance he doesn’t know about the nitro issue.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Got any pics? Am curious to see
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2611
    edited February 2020
    skunkwerx said:

Since posting this I've given it a rub to get the surplus nitro that bubbled up off.  I'm left with an area of missing varnish and rough surface approx 1" long by about 1/3" wide.  That part of the guitar is dark and the damage will be hard to show in a pic.

It's not terrible, but it's bad enough that I'd have to disclose it if selling the guitar and my guess is it's knock about a hundred quid off the value.  That's academic in a sense because I love the guitar and if I had to reduce my collection to 1 it's the one I'd keep.

I get the "don't fuss" side of the debate.  Shit happens. It's not visible from the front.  You know you can't expect guitars to look pristine forever, and this one isn't all that young (guessing 10 years old although I bought it used without knowing its age so I don't know).

All the same, I can't help but be mildly pissed off that I put my favourite guitar into a reputable tech and it's come back damaged. I'd honestly think I'd be less uptight about that sort of thing than a lot of people, but I can't help but be a bit sore.

I'm about to spend a bit of money modding this and a similar guitar.  I intend to put on locking tuners and mod the electronics, although I haven't decided how much I'm going to do.  I had expected to go back to the same tech, in fact I'd already had some preliminary discussions.  I expect I'll get the work done elsewhere now.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    skunkwerx said:

Since posting this I've given it a rub to get the surplus nitro that bubbled up off.  I'm left with an area of missing varnish and rough surface approx 1" long by about 1/3" wide.  That part of the guitar is dark and the damage will be hard to show in a pic.

It's not terrible, but it's bad enough that I'd have to disclose it if selling the guitar and my guess is it's knock about a hundred quid off the value.  That's academic in a sense because I love the guitar and if I had to reduce my collection to 1 it's the one I'd keep.

I get the "don't fuss" side of the debate.  Shit happens. It's not visible from the front.  You know you can't expect guitars to look pristine forever, and this one isn't all that young (guessing 10 years old although I bought it used without knowing its age so I don't know).

All the same, I can't help but be mildly pissed off that I put my favourite guitar into a reputable tech and it's come back damanged.  I'd honestly think I'd be less uptight about that sort of thing than a lot of people, but I can't help but be a bit sore.

I'm about to spend a bit of money modding this and a similar guitar.  I intend to put on locking tuners and mod the electronics, although I haven't decided how much I'm going to do.  I had expected to go back to the same tech, in fact I'd already had some preliminary discussions.  I expect I'll get the work done elsewhere now.

Yeah I feel ya. I'm the same. 

I don't mind knocks and chips that I cause myself, theyre par for the course and don't really bother me, but a section of fucked finish would irritate me. 

Especially having paid someone!

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Definitely raise it with them. I know that in theory there must exist good, careful techs who are masters of their craft and bring the best out of every instrument they service. I, on the other hand, have only ever encountered the type who screw everything down as low as it will go, give the truss rod a few turns in whichever direction they fancy at the time and, if they're having a particularly productive day, will give you a couple of decently-sized scratches / gouges in the top without any extra charge. 
  • Another one for raising it with them. Apart from the principle of it and letting them know that they've messed up, you never know: they may surprise you with a proper apology & some money back
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I’ve stopped going to a luthier based in Edinburgh as the last time he handed my tele back with a big chunk of finish missing from the body near the neck pocket. In fairness it was an AVRI so the finish is brittle but he tried to tell me it was there when I handed it in before conceding.

Also, the fact that every guitar of mine he’s touched has subsequently been sold is probably writing on the wall.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Anyone can call themselves a luthier but that doesn't necessarily mean they have had a formal training in the craft.

I know there are some brilliant self-taught luthiers but somebody can change a set of strings and instantly become a 'guitar technician' without any practical study or an apprenticeship.