NGD Went down to the Crossroads Twice

I have had the P90 version of the B&G Crossroads for a while now from Merlin of this parish. Over that time it has grown on me as they are there own thing and are a great little guitar. I had the chance recently to really crank it at a jam and was really impressed. 

Last week I saw mgaw had the humbucker version up for sale so I had to give this version a go as I am enjoying these. Also, have to say thanks @mgaw ; for a swift and painless deal with a faultless UPS Delivery all worked well. 

Interestingly I presume this one is a younger model and the neck is a bit different not in a bad way a little chunkier but still very old school. I have not measured it but it feels a little chunkier more 59 and less soft V.

The humbucker version has gold hardware rather than their classic brass version and I like this less and to be honest, I did not look at the for sale image that closely to notice but it's not a deal-breaker as I am thinking of making the Humbucker version a modding platform. I have ordered the solid full-fat brass ABR for it as Merlin had this with the one I got from him and I like the difference after a bit of back and forth.  I am also thinking to put a 2nd volume and tone the other side of the F hole as would like that flexibility like a Les Paul with humbuckers also thinking of a Peter Green Mod or maybe simulate it like Corsa Guitars do with their cocked wah capacitor mod but let's see, The humbuckers seem fine out the box the p90 versions although made in china are very good the humbuckers I will have to live with for a while. I have a box of HB that could get substituted if I don't like them.

One of the issues with the gold is the loss of detail on the hardware and the fact that new gold always looks a little too gold for my taste. I have asked B&G for a price for a brass tailpiece but I imagine it will be too pricey to upgrade but let's see. 

All that said the humbucker version acoustically sound far more resonant unplugged than the p90 version but not sure that is a measure of anything as I love the old school p90 tones especially on old Stones and blues. 

Anyway a nice brace
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments