Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is it about a Les Paul?

What's Hot
(I feel that I should start this by mentioning that I'm a basic player at best)

I have a battered Epiphone Les Paul which I love, but a few months ago I bought a PRS SE 245 ( purely to scratch a GAS induced itch).

Now for all intents and purposes the PRS is absolutely the 'better' guitar in terms of condition and 'playability', and it's tone is great ( the Epi has Iron Gear pickups so it's no slouch), but after the initial 'oooh new guitar' period, I still find myself still much preferring the Les Paul.

Now, if we were talking Gibson vs PRS SE I could logically understand, but I really want to know what it is that keeps me coming back to the Epi!

It's not like I have a sentimental attachment to the Epiphone, and the PRS is great, but for whatever reason I've just not bonded with it like I thought I would.

Is this just a case of that Les Paul magic? Even though it's a Chinese Epiphone one?

Also, there's a good chance that the PRS may find it's way to the classifieds so anyone after one, keep your eyes peeled!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    By your own admission, you love the Epiphone guitar. You have a history and an established working relationship with it. You have even personalised it with a few modifications

The PRS SE is a guitar that you want to like but, so far, it has not lived up to your expectations. Perhaps, with similar mods to the Epiphone, the PRS SE would be more to your liking? Perhaps not.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10244
    Maybe it's the set up? 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    it may be just down to playing time. If you have many hours on the Epi it will feel much more comfortable to play as you are just so used to it (like a pair of worn in shoes vs new shoes)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    I have an Epi Les paul, that in an end of the world scenario would be the last of my guitars to burn for warmth.

Interestingly I have never liked any PRS that I have played, so maybe there is something in this whole situation, scale length, pick ups, neck shape and width etc all affect how we feel towards a guitar
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    It's knowing that the neck could snap at any moment that gives you that thrill of living on the edge.

(It's probably just experience with said guitar).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    I love an LP.

I have had a Superstrat that was almost as good, but an LP is a luxury.

I have to have a Ric or something with it though and preferably NOT equipped with a trem.
  • Pretty sure it's just a psychological attachment to an instrument you have played to death over the years.
    I have played the Bernie version of the 245 and to be honest, that would give a full-fat standard a run for the money.

But we play what makes us happy and some things are not about brand or design just how we bond with an object. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Sometimes guitars just feel and sound right to you, and sometimes they don't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    It's the attention to detail, coupled with knowing their customer better than they know themselves. That and the embracing of really useful technology and providing a product at a reasonable price, Gibson just knocks it out the park every time and we love them for it. 
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    I’m the opposite. I want to love Les Pauls but haven’t found one I like.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I’ve always asked this question. The Les Paul was the guitar I always dreamed of owning since being a kid. For what ever reason I ending up being a strat player. Well strat style guitar. So these feel very natural to me. 
    Once I actually started looking for Les pauls I never found one that did it for me. But I ended up with a very nice r8 a few years ago. I always struggle with it a bit to play. But loved the sound it made. There’s nothing like a les Paul!
    But all of a sudden the Les Paul has grown on me big time. Now it’s my main guitar. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Weird isn’t it. I can’t stop myself coming back to Les Pauls. Even though I know the body edge and neck joint/top fret access are clunky, its always bugging me that I don’t currently have one and it’s the benchmark I compare everything else to. I know if I got a PRS (which I do love) I’d still be wondering what if.

An Epiphone LP was my first proper guitar and after getting an MIJ one a few years later they were the only guitars I played for a long time. I stupidly sold them both as I thought I should spend more time on my “better” Gibson SG and it just doesn’t inspire me in the same way.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    Having played or owned most mainstream guitars I think, for me, 335 is the perfect design.  Since the Memphis workshop closed there don't seem to be so many nice hollowbody guitars around 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Funnily enough, I've now come to the conclusion that I can't get on with a Les Paul. Two R6's and an R9 have now come and gone pretty quickly. Nothing to do with the guitars and everything to do with me, of course, but I won't be looking for another one.
    Call me Dave.
  • ‘What is it about a Les Paul’ ?

It’s that urge u get before you realise a Strat//Tele is the one for you  :3
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I’ve come late to Les Pauls. My first guitar was an Encore strat, then I had a Washburn super strat for twenty years. Four years ago I got back into playing and bought a real fender strat. However, a lot of music I like suits Gibsons and I soon started gassing for a Les Paul. A couple of years ago I bought a Vintage V100 Les Paul, to see how I would get on with it. I found that the sound, chunkiness, shorter scale and flatter radius really was my thing and I played it more often than the strat. I’ve recently got a Gibson LP and it’s perfect for me. Right now, a strat and a les paul seem my ideal combination. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    It was a long time before I found a Les Paul that I really bonded with. Even then it’s not often the one that I take to a gig, simply because on a lot of those gigs I know another guitar will work best.

But sometimes, only the LP will do.
  • I've never played one. Never been interested, prefer something a bit different. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I take it you're not a dentist. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    To me a Les Paul feels like a "proper" instrument - something about the combination of top carve, set neck and, to a degree, the slight awkwardness of the design reminds me of a violin or a cello. A tele feels more like a more grown up cigar box guitar....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom