Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do I need a tele? Why? Which one?

What's Hot

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    I'd love one, but I need to find a Tele that has a neck closer to the depth of a strat and a flattish radius, at least 12" but the flatter the better. Otherwise, I'd rather it be traditional with singles in both positions, 3 way and no trem. What options do I have? thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    When Guitar God, David Gilmour, auctioned his collection of 127 guitars (including the black Strat and the No.1 Strat) to raise money for Client Earth he decided to keep one for himself, a Tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    proggy said:
    When Guitar God, David Gilmour, auctioned his collection of 127 guitars (including the black Strat and the No.1 Strat) to raise money for Client Earth he decided to keep one for himself, a Tele.
    Nice!

Do you know anything about the specific one?

I had wondered if he kept any after that auction.
    thegummy said:
    proggy said:
    Nice!

He kept 'The Workmate', the well worn sunburst model he's holding on the cover of the About Face album.

He said he just couldn't part with it. There's in interview about it on rolling stone.com somewhere.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    proggy said:
    thegummy said:
    proggy said:
    Nice!

He kept 'The Workmate', the well worn sunburst model he's holding on the cover of the About Face album.

He said he just couldn't part with it. There's in interview about it on rolling stone.com somewhere.

Cheers, good to know just for curiosity's sake.

Quite surprised that's the one he just couldn't part with considering the ones he did sell. I suppose it shows that what he's famous for playing isn't necessarily his most treasured to him.

In all honesty, if I had to name as many of his guitars as possible, I doubt I'd remember that one to mention.

Will definitely need to get this album on now you've brought it up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • There is one huge advantage in buying a Fender but don't exclude other makers.  I have had many teles mostly Fenders.  However, the one I miss badly is a Suhr Alt T Pro and my favourite (I think) is a Rocketfire. My favourite Fender was a US deluxe (compound radius, locking tuners) which would be a fantastic gigging guitar but I would have wanted to change the noiseless pickups.
    A friend has an AVRI refretted with bigger wire and it is great.  Another friend has a Fender Japan reissue which is also great.

I like teles because they are simple and once set up to your liking require virtually no maintenance. 
    I cannot remember who but somebody like Greg Koch or Josh Smith said that a tele can go to any gig and be credible.
    Check out Larry Carlton using his tele at the Montreaux Jazz Festival. It is pretty jazzy.   
    thegummy said:
    proggy said:
    thegummy said:
    proggy said:
    Nice!

Cheers, good to know just for curiosity's sake.

Quite surprised that's the one he just couldn't part with considering the ones he did sell. I suppose it shows that what he's famous for playing isn't necessarily his most treasured to him.

In all honesty, if I had to name as many of his guitars as possible, I doubt I'd remember that one to mention.

Will definitely need to get this album on now you've brought it up!

Excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    carlos said:
    I'd love one, but I need to find a Tele that has a neck closer to the depth of a strat and a flattish radius, at least 12" but the flatter the better. Otherwise, I'd rather it be traditional with singles in both positions, 3 way and no trem. What options do I have? thanks
    The Harley Benton one has a radius “between 12” and 16” “ (so 14” then I assume) which might suit? I’m also interested in models with a 12” radius but most seem to be 9.5 or 7.25.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    @carlos esp ltd te-2xx
     I happen to have one to sell :)
    They have more traditional non humbucker versions though.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Playing a Tele is like having a Number 2 haircut, there's nothing to hide behind. No whammy, no fancy push switches or tone knobs. Just you, your fingers and the guitar. Refreshing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    When you can't make up your mind you'll need this  =)

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    TTBZ said:
    carlos said:
    The Harley Benton one has a radius “between 12” and 16” “ (so 14” then I assume) which might suit? I’m also interested in models with a 12” radius but most seem to be 9.5 or 7.25.

I put a Strat  22fret 12 inch radius roasted maple Fender Replacement neck on my Tele .I love it now .The Joe trohmann Tele neck ,in reality a strat neck ,has similar specs  slightly different carve .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Do I need a Tele? No of course not. But you should get one.
    Why? 
    • The Bridge Pickup. It's ballsier than a strat and with gain can cut through anything.
    • Simplicity. One volume, One tone, 3 way, on one simple panel. It's liberating. It lets you get on with playing.
    • Durability. It will never break. Sling it in a gig bag for gigs.
    • Playability. As good as it gets.
    • Looks. IMHO the most beautiful guitar ever made.
    Model? There's a model for every wallet.
    This about sums it up.
    Apart from a Tele being the most beautiful guitar ever made. That's a stretch even for most died in the wool Tele fans.  A Strat still has the sexiest shape of any guitar ever made.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Voxman said:
    Do I need a Tele? No of course not. But you should get one.
    Why? 
    • The Bridge Pickup. It's ballsier than a strat and with gain can cut through anything.
    • Simplicity. One volume, One tone, 3 way, on one simple panel. It's liberating. It lets you get on with playing.
    • Durability. It will never break. Sling it in a gig bag for gigs.
    • Playability. As good as it gets.
    • Looks. IMHO the most beautiful guitar ever made.
    Model? There's a model for every wallet.
    This about sums it up.
    Apart from a Tele being the most beautiful guitar ever made. That's a stretch even for most died in the wool Tele fans.  A Strat still has the sexiest shape of any guitar ever made.  :)
    You reckon without ‘The Paul’, sirrah. :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    When you can't make up your mind you'll need this  =)

Delete this
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3866
    rossi said:
    TTBZ said:
    carlos said:

I put a Strat  22fret 12 inch radius roasted maple Fender Replacement neck on my Tele .I love it now .The Joe trohmann Tele neck ,in reality a strat neck ,has similar specs  slightly different carve .
    Strat headstock on a Tele? How do you sleep at night?!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Lebarque said:
    rossi said:
    TTBZ said:
    carlos said:

EC managed it quite successfully I think.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    Lebarque said:
    rossi said:
    TTBZ said:
    carlos said:

EC managed it quite successfully I think.
    Eric Cartman?

Ah that's right actually, I remember that from when Faith+1 played Crossroads.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Picture 1 of 5
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11898
    I'd say get a semi first
    It's a much more different sound