Bright cheap humbucker for reggae/dub?

What's Hot
Hi, could anyone recommend a set of hb's to go in a gloomy sounding Chinese Steinberger? Mostly clean skanking, so bright and clear at volume without being wincingly sharp. Lots of pedal abuse. No real call for distorted Tones. I can normally be found on the bridge pickup. I'm aiming at the Tonerider type price range.. Thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    i would put a want to buy in the parts section with your budget, and someone on here will have something in their parts draw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    The Select By EMG passive humbuckers found in some licensed Steinberger headless guitars are notoriously lacklustre.

On the positive side, these pickups normally come with a two conductor plus braided shielding output cable. The second conductor enables coil splitting. It might be worth experimenting with this option before spending money on replacement pickups.

My inclination would be to try partial coil splitting via resistors à la PRS. 

Given the tiny control cavity, this would be best achieved by using push-pull pots. CTS or Bourns are first class. Even Alpha would be an improvement over the stock MIC parts.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Could do worse than the two humbucker-sized P90s in Alegree's pickup clearance ....

Would probably suit the clean tones you're after.
  • Good suggestions, I'll have a think! Thank you all. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Get one of these Belcat pickups for a tenner from Gear4music. They are the same as the Jackson JS series pickups only with covers on.

• Left field suggestion - black top filtertrons ? A few people take them out of their electromatics in favour of higher end pickups but I think they are great 
  • Definitely decided on different pickups rather than persevere with the stock ones..they're just too depressing! This guitar is a HSH but I'm going to get rid of the SC altogether as I rarely use it. Maybe then try out some interesting wiring ideas with the vacant slots on the 5 way selector.. need to get googling. 
    Thanks, yeah the filtertron idea sounds smart. I've had the SD Jazz and the Dimarzio EJ custom suggested too which look well suited but a bit over my meagre budget. 
    Anyone reckon the Iron Gear Blues Engine or Tonerider Ac4 might fit my particular bill? Still open to suggestions! 
    Thanks again all. 

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    edited February 2020
    I was about to suggest Iron Gear Blues Engines..I may even have a couple going spare, I know I deffo have a bridge engine.....would higher value pots help too?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll