Which magnets in custom wind

What's Hot
For a new build I wanted to pair a mini humbucker bridge with a gold foil in the neck. I wanted to be able to do some riffy stuff while still keeping some jangle in the bridge, and also go brash and bright with the neck gold foil.

I was going to get the creamery to make both for me. But now I have to choose between a2 and a5 magnets for both. I'll talk to the guy before he builds it but any suggestions from you lot?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14466
    By mini-humbucker, do you mean the small form item associated with the Gibson LP Deluxe, a Firebird pickup or a narrow dual coil pickup to fit in a Stratocaster?

I can think of reasons to choose either Alnico formulation for each pickup type. Much depends on the host guitar. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • By mini-humbucker, do you mean the small form item associated with the Gibson LP Deluxe, a Firebird pickup or a narrow dual coil pickup to fit in a Stratocaster?

I can think of reasons to choose either Alnico formulation for each pickup type. Much depends on the host guitar. 
    Ah. Well. I was going to try a hefner staple mini humbucker, which he describes as "crunchier than a standard Mini-Humbucker due to the exposed "Staple" Poles, but warmer than a traditional Firebird pickup". I was torn between mini hum and firebird anyway.

I was going to put it in a thinline build. Not dissimilar to tele thinline, I guess.
    In a proper staple pickup, there should be six small individual magnet polepieces. Thus, it should be possible to have A5 under EAD and A2 under GBE.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In a proper staple pickup, there should be six small individual magnet polepieces. Thus, it should be possible to have A5 under EAD and A2 under GBE.

Can't tell for sure from the website, but maybe it's possible. D'you think that would be the way to go or is it just cool that it's possible? ;-)

Also, having re-checked, the gold foil is actually available in alnico 2,3,4,5,8, or ceramic. More choices!
    Choosing magnet formulations for specific applications is a balancing act between wishful thinking and trial and error. 

On a Telecaster type guitar, the magnet material could make as much difference to the overall sound as changing bridge saddle material from steel to brass or titanium. 

I have used Seymour Duncan Five-Two single coil pickups in several guitars. I like the overall effect of wiry wound strings and slightly smoother plain ones.