Mijmoj Wooden Guitar Hanger - Osmo Oil - Nitro Finish Safe?

BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4868
edited February 2020 in Guitar
I've been given a very lovely guitar hanger as a present, it's made of wood and has been finished in something called Osmo Oil.

Messaging the manufacturer of the hanger leaves me with no further clue what to do, almost like they've not heard of nitro! Anyway does anyone have one of these already and can offer feedback please:

https://mijmoj.co.uk/product/guitar-storage/

https://www.osmouk.com/sitechapter.cfm?chapter=82&page=247#PolyxOil

Thanks all

May have to message the finish manufacturers as well, but figure I'm gonna have the same issue!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Osmo is a wax oil...

I know folk on here rave about it for finishing guitars... but... having just finished two floors with osmo I can safely say I personally wouldn’t have it anywhere near my guitars...

cant say if it will react with nitro but I’m guessing as long as it’s dry you should be fine!...
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4868
    edited February 2020
    Thanks, and the floor looks amazing btw!

Yeah it's all dry etc. just wary is all, I think I may never get a definitive answer to this one. So I'll have to keep a non Nitro guitar on it probably!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23029
    @poopot Nice place!
    poopot said:
    Cheers mate, I'll have a look through. Not sure what I'm looking for exactly!

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited February 2020
    Boromedic said:
    poopot said:
    Cheers mate, I'll have a look through. Not sure what I'm looking for exactly!
    Osmo is a great wood finish, it’s hard enough for floors etc... but... water can damage it so it never really goes “hard” hard... cleanup was a bitch and I had to use thinners to get it off hands, brushes etc so solvents will dissolve it... that could be an issue with the nitro as I could see any residual solvents in the nitro softening the osmo and then in turn the osmo staining the nitro...

but, I don’t know either way. If your worried wrap some linen around the pegs and rest the guitar on that!

That said, mine are hanging from real cheapo hangers (£5.99 for 6 from amazon ) I’ve had no reactions!
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3038
    edited February 2020
    I can’t be sure but I doubt it, when it’s dry I doubt it reacts with much. It doesn’t react with water, it just pools into a blob. I’ve got my floorboards, doors and the plank holding my guitar hangers on the wall all in Osmo Polyx oil. I’ve just got my first nitro guitar though, so you’re got me thinking about it now.....
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    tFB Trader
    Theres also loads of different types of Osmo oil.. Some of them are white in colour (I think those are the ones with wax in), some just look like any other finishing oil.. Some are somewhere in between.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    Sections 9&10 of the sds are for physical properties and stability. 
    They’ve not checked for stability against much as it’s a wood finishing product for the home. 
    grungebob said:
    Sections 9&10 of the sds are for physical properties and stability. 
    They’ve not checked for stability against much as it’s a wood finishing product for the home. 
    Cheers for having a gander, I think I'm going to buy something to cover the parts that come in to contact with the actual guitar and play it safe.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    I've used osmo to darken a cheap maple neck before, looked and felt really nice.