Sore finger concern...

What's Hot
Hello all,

In the last few months, I've probably spent more time playing than I have for many years.  Usually, complex technical stuff (Marty Friedman solos, etc.).  I've made some great gains but...my middle finger on my left hand, at the joint nearest the nail, has become a little achy.

Any advice?  Rest?  Play less?  Slower/simpler?  If so, any suggestions on a break?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to suffer this, so thought it best hassle you lot before the doctor!

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ask a doctor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5292
    I get the same and my wife is a doctor, her advice is to keep playing
  • My understanding is that it's fine to continue playing through aches, but not if in pain. Congratulations on what you're playing!
  • I'd rest it for a bit. If it doesn't improve in a few days, or gets worse, see someone. 
    if you go to see your GP they will be able to tell you if its an arthritic pain (mine are) in that case then keep going 
  • further said:
    Ask a doctor.
    Surely you are aware how vital the Internet has become for accurate diagnosis of medical conditions, making clinicians obsolete? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • further said:
    Ask a doctor.
    Surely you are aware how vital the Internet has become for accurate diagnosis of medical conditions, making clinicians obsolete? 
    Frankly, people who have direct experience will likely provide better information than a clinician at this stage. I’ve had many a bad experience with doctors, who seem determined to fulfil Big Pharma quotas, dishing out prescriptions like flyers. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    further said:
    Ask a doctor.
    Frankly, people who have direct experience will likely provide better information than a clinician at this stage. I’ve had many a bad experience with doctors, who seem determined to fulfil Big Pharma quotas, dishing out prescriptions like flyers. 
    cynical perhaps
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    Try to do the right things.  Have some cod liver oil, which is meant to be good for joints.  Make sure your posture is good etc.
  • @mgaw Unashamedly so!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Try a different sized neck, maybe?
    I could never play skinny necks for very long before fingers started to ache.
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    Can you straighten your fingertip fully? I’ve had mallet finger in both my left and right index fingers, and it sounds exactly like what you’re describing.
  • Sassafras said:
    Try a different sized neck, maybe?
    I could never play skinny necks for very long before fingers started to ache.
    Wide fat player. Not a fan of skinny necks.

ADP said:
    Can you straighten your fingertip fully? I’ve had mallet finger in both my left and right index fingers, and it sounds exactly like what you’re describing.
    Pleased to say, I can!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Put a bit of Ralgex Muscle Rub cream on it, It's also good for joint pain. It helped me when I twisted my knee.
  • proggy said:
    Put a bit of Ralgex Muscle Rub cream on it, It's also good for joint pain. It helped me when I twisted my knee.
    Good call. I’ll try Tiger Balm too!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:
    Good call. I’ll try Tiger Balm too!

Yes. Tiger Balm is really good, hopefully that'll sort you out.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11331
    You have plenty of ideas as to what it might be, but no definitive answer.

I wouldn't ask a doctor for advice on what pickups to buy, don't ask guitarists for medical diagnoses.

Go and see a doctor.