Triggering backing tracks - Hardware solution?

What's Hot
gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
So, after successive drummer losses, we've decided to play to backing tracks until we realise it's actually a bit shit to do so.

Looking for suggestions (ideally hardware) to store and trigger the tracks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Laptop and interface with multiple outs.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    octatonic said:
    Sorry, should have made it more explicit. It's just for simple backing track triggers, and would prefer not to use computers/interfaces. 

Would any loopers do the job? Or something similar. Ideally something with x number of big buttons that can be stomped on or pressed.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited February 2020
    One of tablet/ipod or equivalent/old mobile phone mounted on a mic stand so it is readily to hand for starting and stopping tracks.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    A MIDI pedalboard like a SoftStep or a 12 Step can be programmed to send a signal of your choice.
    You'd need a MIDI sampling device too.
    It wouldn't be a cheap setup, though.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    prowla said:
    A MIDI pedalboard like a SoftStep or a 12 Step can be programmed to send a signal of your choice.
    You'd need a MIDI sampling device too.
    It wouldn't be a cheap setup, though.
    Softstep with a 1010 Music Blackbox would be a good rig.
    Probably around £800 for everything.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    When you say 'trigger' do you just want to select a backing track and play it or something more complicated.  For just playing backing tracks a Boss RC-3 looper is great
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Roland SPD will do it if you want to whack a pad to start and stop BTs 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    If it's a full backing track (i.e. song start to finish) then try SoundCue on an iPad.  Each track is presented as a button (25 to a page), tap and it plays to the end.

I used to arrange so that FOH mix was on RH channel and cues (count in etc) were on LH which only went to our monitors.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809

These guys seem to have a solution - they demo at most UK guitar shows

http://baktrakpedal.co.uk/

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Here's my 4 pennyworth ..
    You need to ponder how you "locate" yourself in the song ie verse , chorus solo before starting the process
    Option 1 Backtrax  App(IPad) works with old Ipads - mp3 download via itunes.
    Option 2 Drum machine - i programmed 35 songs for this purpose in Dec 2019 - ended up going back and queuing stuff like verses and choruses so i knew where we were.

One thing with programming and listening to the "actual song" was how far the "live" band deviated from the real format

NB I do have a Boss RC3 and in a previous incarnation triggered the Silver machine synth sound....

I tried to wire a pedal to start and increment the wav files but i didn't get 100% confidence in the method so didn't pursue it.

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Cymatic LP-16 or uTrack24 are rock solid hardware units that will reliably play multitrack audio for live playback. Have toured the 24 and it's great, and band I used to work with have an LP-16 in their current touring rig. 

If you decide to go laptop, I'd look at the iConnectivity PlayAudio12 interface, it's built for exactly this purpose and allows you to connect two laptops for a redundant backup should you have problems with one. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited February 2020
    gusman2x said:
    octatonic said:
    Sorry, should have made it more explicit. It's just for simple backing track triggers, and would prefer not to use computers/interfaces. 

Would any loopers do the job? Or something similar. Ideally something with x number of big buttons that can be stomped on or pressed.

Yes, any looper that you can load loops onto (which is most of them these days) will do the job. Personally, I use the Digitech JamMan SoloXT with an extra footswitch for shifting between loops (normally done with the small loop up/down buttons on the pedal). A friend gigged with one of the larger four-button Digitech JamMan loopers (which had footswitches for loop up/down built in) playing all his backing tracks and it worked perfectly. The only downside I can think of is that you are reliant on a two digit numerical led for patch number. I'm not aware of any loopers with a more detailed alpha-numeric display (to name the patches) but they may well exist.

Could you explain why you are looking for a hardware solution rather than something that plays from a phone, tablet or laptop?  Also, do you need to just trigger from the start of a track and let it play to the end or do you want to start and stop during the song?  Finally, how many tracks of playback do you require? (single, stereo, multi-track?).

Budget may also help.

This should help to narrow down the suggestions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We had the same problem with using laptops and interfaces, so we are developing a hardware backing track and MIDI player in the form of a pedal. It should be ready to launch in April/May:  http://idoru.live/
    Musicwolf said:

Could you explain why you are looking for a hardware solution rather than something that plays from a phone, tablet or laptop?  Also, do you need to just trigger from the start of a track and let it play to the end or do you want to start and stop during the song?  Finally, how many tracks of playback do you require? (single, stereo, multi-track?).

Budget may also help.

This should help to narrow down the suggestions.

Well maybe a phone would work, but I've never found a good app for qeueing and triggering tracks. We would have around 8-10 tracks, that we'd want to trigger individually, but they would play all the way thorough.

Budget <£100 s/h would be preferrable.
    Sounds as though SoundCue would do the trick.  Here's a really awful demonstartion of the lite version that can be used from a phone

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks man!
    I had heard of that before, but had forgotten the name. The lite version isn't available just now, but the full one is £14.99. Might be worth a punt if I can get the others to chip in. Of course, it would be better (but not easier) if we had a drummer....