Jazzmaster maple neck lying around. Ideas....? (Not for a Jazzmaster)

Hi all. I have a Jazzmaster maple neck/fretboard lying around, and if it's still lying around in a few months, I'm thinking of using if for some kind of project. 

Basically, I'm sorted for single coil guitars. I also have a cheap Squier bullet modded so it's just a single humbucker only guitar (Iron Gear tesla shark). Also have a J Mascis JM lying around. 

So, thinking of a HH, or HS something...

Easiest options could be to get a tele body, and put single coil size humbuckers in the bridge and neck, or a HSS strat body (and stick some Lace Sensors in there).

Thoughts?

Alternatively, I could just flog the neck and get an Ibanez :p 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jazzblaster would be the obvious one to my mind. Get some nice wide range humbuckers in their for that middle ground, simple switching, etc.
  • Jazzblaster would be the obvious one to my mind. Get some nice wide range humbuckers in their for that middle ground, simple switching, etc.
    Oh yes ! 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    Or mojotrons 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • There was a twin humbucker tele body on here for sale a little while ago.....
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Some of the Squier bodies make a good base for projects.

I also had a Tesla Shark in a Strat partscaster, but I replaced it with an SD JB model, which is rather good.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72419
    edited February 2020
    Jagmaster.

Only with the option of building it with better-quality parts from the start...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM I'm now thinking thinline tele, hh, maybe....
    @ICBM I'm now thinking thinline tele, hh, maybe....
    Yes, a '72-style Thinline would look really nice with a Jazzmaster headstock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    @ICBM I'm now thinking thinline tele, hh, maybe....
    Yes, a '72-style Thinline would look really nice with a Jazzmaster headstock.
    Yep, bodies might be harder to come by at a bargain price though :/
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited April 2020
    I got a tele body, and noticed the gaps when I slotted the JM neck into it to see what it might look like. Obviously the rounded ends means there's a gap. Anyone know if I a custom pickguard would fix this? I'd imagine it would. Any this side of the pond rather than going to warmoth!
    Other option would be a 22 fret strat neck :p 
    Another query someone might be able to help with. I tried the Jazzmaster neck again today on the body just to see what the fit would be like. A tight fit. As in, if I place the neck down on top of the neck slot, it wouldn't slot in of its own accord. It would have to be pushed in. If I place the neck in the slot as you would close a drawer, if that makes sense, it slots in tightly. So the neck would appear to be a few mm wider on each side.
    Is this a good or a bad thing? I'm not necessarily married to the neck or anything, but just considering a few options...
    I have a squier strat neck on the way to see what that will be like as well.
    But I am almost thinking of getting a strat neck in any case...
    If it goes in without needing really excessive force - where you might split the wood on the treble side - then that’s a perfect fit.

If so I would definitely go with that neck, you’re very unlikely to find a better one.

ICBM said:
    If it goes in without needing really excessive force - where you might split the wood on the treble side - then that’s a perfect fit.

If so I would definitely go with that neck, you’re very unlikely to find a better one.
    I'm now possibly thinking of trying that JM neck on the affinity squier hardtail body I have, but also thinking that neck is perhaps "deserving" of a better body....