gibson les paul standard 50s p90 gold top - anyone tried one?

What's Hot
brucegillbrucegill Frets: 724
edited February 2020 in Guitar
I’ve never had a Gibson, always ended up with a fender. I’ve lusted after a 50s gold top, p90s and with an ABR-1 for 25 years! I’ve tried a few specials, probably 10 years ago I’d guess. Quality seemed shoddy for the price - though I may have tried some duds. 

So, anyone tried one of these new ones? Sounds like Gibson have got their QC sorted? 

Can’t stand the shape of the eastmans personally, so those aren’t an option... The Lollar are attractive though!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    I tried one out at Andertons.  I'd owned a CS R6 which was so nice and I thought this must be more or less the same thing but at half the price.  I can only judge in comparison to the two but personally I would only consider the R6.  I thought the Standard was clunky and uninspiring in comparison.  I know it's easy to say spending so much more would be worth it but in this case I think I probably would.  I'm a single coil Fender person so probably know nothing though.
  • Ah, not sure I’m in the market to spend £4K. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31647
    brucegill said:
    Ah, not sure I’m in the market to spend £4K. 
    Try a few. There's an awful lot of confirmation bias surrounding CS vs standard range Gibsons, but you can never pin anyone down to anything tangible. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    one of the new p90 ones knocking round on facey for £1500, that's not bad
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    brucegill said:
    Ah, not sure I’m in the market to spend £4K. 
    Try a few. There's an awful lot of confirmation bias surrounding CS vs standard range Gibsons, but you can never pin anyone down to anything tangible. 
    Thanks. Done the CS fender thing and not going there again to be honest, especially at today’s prices. Yes, some have been nicer, but not double the price nicer. I’m gradually getting to the “that’ll do” stage with electrics, rather than chasing the tone so to speak. I’ve just never had a Gibson and when I have looked (ages ago now), they’ve all had problems with the build that I wasn’t up for at the price. £500, fine. £2k+, nope. 

The sg’s with p90s look cracking too, and very well priced for a US made guitar I thought. 
  • tony99 said:
    one of the new p90 ones knocking round on facey for £1500, that's not bad
    Many thanks. Will have a look!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72548
    p90fool said:

Apart from the hideous thick binding on the standards... literally tangible since you can easily feel it on the necks.

That said, recently there were a Les Paul Trad and a R9 in the shop at the same time - with almost a 3:1 price difference. Apart from looking more vintage-accurate and 'finely made', the R9 really had nothing over the Trad in terms of playability or sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

Apart from the hideous thick binding on the standards... literally tangible since you can easily feel it on the necks.

That said, recently there were a Les Paul Trad and a R9 in the shop at the same time - with almost a 3:1 price difference. Apart from looking more vintage-accurate and 'finely made', the R9 really had nothing over the Trad in terms of playability or sound.
    The binding is a lot thinner on the new Standards.
  • Get a used PRS McCarty p90 instead, Coda have a nice on in at the mo.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited February 2020 tFB Trader
    Here's my goldtop through a 1964 vox AC 30, god what a tone, I've played a real 54 and 56 but unplugged, loved that 54 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Here's my goldtop through a 1964 vox AC 30, god what a tone, I've played a real 54 and 56 but unplugged, loved that 54 

That sounds awesome! (And from memory of looking at the photos, looked spot on!). Now I’m jonesing for a Goldtop with p90s AND a AC30 lol 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    brucegill said:
    Here's my goldtop through a 1964 vox AC 30, god what a tone, I've played a real 54 and 56 but unplugged, loved that 54 

That sounds awesome! (And from memory of looking at the photos, looked spot on!). Now I’m jonesing for a Goldtop with p90s AND a AC30 lol 
    Well I got the goldtop now I need an ac 30 but haven't got 3.5k handy 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)