Interesting video of building a ES-335 at the Nashville factory.

What's Hot
ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
I found it pretty interesting - not sure the I like seeing the nitro sprayer not wearing a mask.. but what do I know...

Its Gibson marketing, but genuinely interesting IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi3-D7N31eo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    edited February 2020
    Well, Kim isn’t going to have any lungs left spraying guitars like that  ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10452
    I've had a tour round the Memphis factory (now closed ) where all the custom hallows and stuff were made. This video looks a bit more modern, some of the processes were very old fashioned and slow. This looks a bit of a faster process
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • whoa Marty Schwarz looks like Alexi Sayle all of a sudden!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • great video, really interesting, especially the binding technique

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2791
    Fabulous looking guitar - dont normally go for those but looks fab 
  • Nice, thank you.  Would have been good to see their method for installing the electrics, knowing what a bitch it is to change out pots or whatever on a semi.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    Nice, thank you.  Would have been good to see their method for installing the electrics, knowing what a bitch it is to change out pots or whatever on a semi.
    If you look at the assembly stages there is a large cutout in the centre block where the bridge pickup goes. All the gubbins goes in through that hole rather than the treble f-hole as is the traditional method 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    On the older ES without the cutout in the lower block it's always worth a look at the f-hole and if its chipped or looking a bit worse for wear then a good indicator the harness has been out. Even gibson are/ were known to have a bottle of lacquer nearby the harness installs dept just in case.

Not a big deal but worth bearing in mind. A small dentist mirror can also usually get in there in case you can get a pot/ date code if trying to get a more accurate age on an older ES. Unless they've soldered over it :)

Useless trivia I know. I'll get me coat.

H

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Marty was that impressed he went out and bought a Heritage 535!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i found that intersting. I would now really like to see an epiphone 335 being made wonder what the differences would be, i know they arnt sprayed with nitro
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    i found that intersting. I would now really like to see an epiphone 335 being made wonder what the differences would be, i know they arnt sprayed with nitro
    An Epiphone 335 has no defects. ;)

• Philtre said:
    i found that intersting. I would now really like to see an epiphone 335 being made wonder what the differences would be, i know they arnt sprayed with nitro
    An Epiphone 335 has no defects. ;)

and is probably made in 10 minutes flat.
  • i found that intersting. I would now really like to see an epiphone 335 being made wonder what the differences would be, i know they arnt sprayed with nitro
    This made me think about the actual cost of producing such a guitar. We all whinge about overpriced guitars but these look labour intensive indeed. Epiphone guitars must be made using slave labour by comparison, i mean how do you build an ES guitar so cheaply otherwise? Sure woods and components are cheaper but they must be made using similar techniques? weve had it pretty good in reality but is it sustainable to expect it in a more sustainability concious world?

• What surprised me was that they made their own laminates. I expected they’d buy the sheets ready made.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    What surprised me was that they made their own laminates. I expected they’d buy the sheets ready made.
    It needs to be done like that to form the shape.
  • so are Epiphone made the same way but in a cheaper location, or is there more to it ?

• CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    so are Epiphone made the same way but in a cheaper location, or is there more to it ?
    I don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if Epi's are hand sprayed.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1542

I suspect there's not much diffence between the timber sheets used for the laminates between Gibson and Epiphone, price or 'quality' wise, beyond the visual aspect.

The largest difference, I imagine, is in the finessing of things like the binding, the finish, the fretwork etc. As a general rule, the cost of raw material is a small part of any instrument.

Adam

• CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    CeeJay said:
    so are Epiphone made the same way but in a cheaper location, or is there more to it ?
    I don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if Epi's are hand sprayed.
    I could be wrong though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=LRczd_ZEf4E&feature=emb_logo