Trading a orange ad15 for a Gordon Smith gs1

What's Hot
Quick one after a glass of wine. Sight unseen, been trying to sell the orange for a while with no bites. Anyone have any experience with the gs1 guitars? 
Worthwhile trade?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Had you considered trying to sell it on here? AD15s are pretty sought after. No idea about the Gordon Smith I'm afraid!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm in Dublin so shipping scares me
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72541
    How old is the Gordon Smith? This matters a lot - the last ones before the company was sold a couple of years or so ago were of very questionable quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks to be 2001, it seems to have more than enough "nibbles" on the body
    On the face of it it looks like a good deal, assuming there’s nothing wrong with the guitar - it’s probably worth a little more than the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I wouldn't hesitate. I had one of the first GS-1s made and it was one of my favourite guitars.
    Sassafras said:
    I wouldn't hesitate. I had one of the first GS-1s made and it was one of my favourite guitars.
    I knew someone who had an early one in the 80s, it was brilliant too. Sadly some of the more recent ones really aren’t... I think 2001 is old enough not to be too risky, but I would still check it carefully.

• ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    edited February 2020
    Have a look again, love a bit of group think , the jack looks fairly dodgy http://imgur.com/gallery/lq395cZ
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12397
    GS’s are decent sounding guitars but they have that “built by a bloke in a shed” look, which basically describes what the ones from that era were. The build quality can be a bit amateur, but they did use good quality parts. The body timber can be anything under the paint, I think they just used what they could get their hands on... mine was described as mahogany by the shop but turned out to be actually poplar. 

Finishing on all the ones I’ve seen is very variable, from “Stevie Wonder would be proud” to very decent.

Bear in mind (and from my personal experience) you might have trouble moving it on if you don’t like it. They’re not particularly well regarded guitars. 

The one in the photo doesn’t look great  ... that jack socket has either taken a whack with the lead in place so it’s splintered the wood or it’s just been badly replaced. Personally I’d avoid it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31646
    That looks like some kind of pine from a cheap kitchen table. 

It might sound great actually, but it's the last guitar I'd buy without trying. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm awake with glasses on and no wine in the belly, as a trade of a amp it might be a silly one. 

Rather than start a new thread, do you guys have any idea of the going rate of an ad15? Just wondering if I'm overvaluing it 
  • Zonular said:
    I'm awake with glasses on and no wine in the belly, as a trade of a amp it might be a silly one. 

Rather than start a new thread, do you guys have any idea of the going rate of an ad15? Just wondering if I'm overvaluing it 
    No idea as to the price, but I have the feeling that the market for more "utilitarian" tube amps (not desirably vintage or boutique) is very slow. 

I tried to sell an Blackstar Artisan 15 head a while back, with all the caps upgraded and NOS tubes and there was no interest. If I'd looked for EUR 250 I'd probably have gotten someone to take it. I even asked about trades in a shop and there was no interest, not something that would move quickly.

So you might be overpricing it, though your price might not be unreasonable.

I've seen other regular gear flippers on the Guitarist Ireland forum commenting too about how slow the tube amp market is. I guess the modelling stuff is making inroads, certainly from a practical perspective it has advantages over tubes.
  • I had one years back and loved it. They don’t come up for sale very often that I’ve seen so valuation is a bit tricky. just checked back through my emails on a few I was watching for sale in various places and they were selling between £400-500 quid

They aren’t too common so I’m a bit surprised you haven’t found a buyer yet :(

if I had to choose between your amp and a GS1 - I’d take your AD15 every day.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Amps of the same model are pretty much identical whereas guitars vary wildly. I'd want to try out the GS1, it could be a belter or a dog.
  • I had one years back and loved it. They don’t come up for sale very often that I’ve seen so valuation is a bit tricky. just checked back through my emails on a few I was watching for sale in various places and they were selling between £400-500 quid

They aren’t too common so I’m a bit surprised you haven’t found a buyer yet :(

if I had to choose between your amp and a GS1 - I’d take your AD15 every day.

I was looking for one a couple of years back - £300 to £450 was about right. 10inch speaker version very much the bottom end of that though. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2170
    I sometimes think with a trade "if they want to trade it, then why couldn't they sell it?" 

Might be because they have a sentimental attachment causing them to over value the item, or it could be a dog. If they describe it as playing like butter, then ignore all future messages. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    edited February 2020
    The only AD15 to sell recently on Ebay went for an offer under £330. Annoyingly Ebay don’t tell you what it was, but £300 seems a sensible guess. Also with no shipping option.

Weirdly the 'offer' doesn't show up there unless you go to it from Search.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_udlo&_udhi&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo&_sabdhi&_samilow&_samihi&_sadis=15&_stpos=EH259LR&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1&_nkw=orange ad15&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

It's also probably not helped by the seller having only 97% positive feedback.

I would have said that seems a bit low, but not that much.

• Local high end shop (some neck guitars , great shop) had one second hand and sold it for 550. I had it priced at 450/400. Truth be told I'm trying to move it on cause it's too much for what I need, I'm mainly playing with headphones these days.

Of course my other option is pack it up and keep it for my imaginary wedding band backline, although the helix / kemper is way more suited to that I suppose
  • Zonular said:
    Local high end shop (some neck guitars , great shop) had one second hand and sold it for 550. I had it priced at 450/400. Truth be told I'm trying to move it on cause it's too much for what I need, I'm mainly playing with headphones these days.

Of course my other option is pack it up and keep it for my imaginary wedding band backline, although the helix / kemper is way more suited to that I suppose
    Some Neck has the advantage of having a lot of foot traffic and also providing people with the opportunity to try stuff out and buy on impulse.

And yes, Some Neck is a great shop, great guys and great stock.
  • Right so, taken the ad down, going to hold on and replace some valves.