Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tatty guitars used by pros?

What's Hot

Comments

• Weird how some people, me included, would be looking at used guitars to see if they have any nicks or dings. I suppose it depends on the guitar, the ding, and wear is different to a ding...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw David Lindley in the mid 80's touring with his own band and he had at least 15 unusual "pawn shop prizes" with him.  He played each of them and made them all sound great.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Weird how some people, me included, would be looking at used guitars to see if they have any nicks or dings. I suppose it depends on the guitar, the ding, and wear is different to a ding...
    What's weird is that some people do that while others pay hundreds extra to have the nicks, dings and wear done to it deliberately.

Then there's the hilarious situation when someone is concerned over whether a specific piece of damage was done deliberately at the factory or happened in the real world since it shipped.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mr Vai:

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4938
    Anything Pete Townsend got his mitts on...

Mind you, Blackmore was good enough to share a bit of his Strat with me the previous year...

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14551
    proggy said:
    Jeff Beck's white Fender Esquire from his Yardbirds era was pretty tatty, although the pattern of wear doesn't look natural to me.
    The contouring on that guitar was done by (or for) the previous owner, John Maus AKA John Walker of The Walker Brothers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:
    Jeff Beck's white Fender Esquire from his Yardbirds era was pretty tatty, although the pattern of wear doesn't look natural to me.
    The contouring on that guitar was done by (or for) the previous owner, John Maus AKA John Walker of The Walker Brothers.

Oh, I didn't realise it was contoured, I thought it was just the paint worn away. That explains that then.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 684
    edited February 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    As always in such threads, I feel it incumbent upon me to post this pic:

Love Walter Trout. Somewhat debunks the 70s Strats are shit myth.

Charlie Waller from The Rumble Strips used this old, almost toy, thing every time I saw them. I assume that's the plinky plonky thing on their albums, too.

https://images.app.goo.gl/J6t8AP4aHCwPqPE2A
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23030
    Philly_Q said:
    As always in such threads, I feel it incumbent upon me to post this pic:

Most of my favourite Strat players use, or used, '70s Strats - Robin Trower, Ritchie Blackmore, Uli Jon Roth.  I'm not really a Walter Trout fan but I do think his is the coolest guitar in the world.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    edited February 2020
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

Charlie Waller from The Rumble Strips used this old, almost toy, thing every time I saw them. I assume that's the plinky plonky thing on their albums, too.
    Is it a myth? I thought it was that CBS brought in cutbacks like loosening quality control so it wasn't a case of them all being shit, just more of them that were released.

Maybe it's partly fuelled by people sharing my opinion of the enlarged headstock.
  • Pepper and Woody from CoC play some battered old ESP SG lawsuits, Woody especially.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited February 2020
    Keef’s Micawber is pretty wrecked!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14324
    tFB Trader
    Keef is pretty wrecked!

FTFY
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thurston Moore’s Jazzmaster 

https://images.app.goo.gl/PFUdpJFBRjoJ9BXg9
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    edited February 2020
    ICBM said:
    Some of Seasick Steve's gear...
    Mostly fake I think. I know someone who built some of his "dumpster find" guitars for him... expensive custom-built gear pretending to be junk.

It's funny that. I mean that was kinda his "thing" wasn't it.
    I wondered if he was going to be mentioned on this thread. Yep, fake as f**k in every respect. Still, fair play to him - he spotted a market opportunity and milked it, and it’s not like he’s a bad musician. 

My problem with him is that at the height of his popularity, the people who’s music he was ripping off and pretending to be his own were alive and living in the kind of poverty that he was pretending to have experienced, and he was fine with that. Fuck that guy. He should have bought them all houses.

On a lighter note, my favourite tatty celebrity guitar will always be Tony Rice’s D28

This one isn't quite how it left the factory.