Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #57

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #57.

Voting will end at midnight 29th February.

This one is an attempt at a swing style track.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

The top three will be announced after the voting closes.

You can find all the entries the playlist below.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm57-2020-02

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 5 points @Modellista : The playing and tone are very authentic to the style. Sounds a really good fit to the backing but maybe the guitar is slightly too high in the mix 
    3 points @Bellycaster : Swings along well and some great lines
    1 point @fastonebaz : Great technique as usual and gives things a slightly rockier slant.

It's not a competition.
  • 5 points @stratman3142 - an enthusiastic romp I could imagine him freaking out on stage playing this just like in Back to the future
    3 points @Modellista - polished,  fitting and professional, my grandma would have loved it but I craved a bit more sizzle
    1 point @Bellycaster - enjoyable and very well played,  tough to choose between them all

• All really good this month, I can hear the personalities behind the playing yet still all very sympathetic to the track.  I hate having to put them in order:

5 points @Bellycaster - well-suited to the track, I like a fairly clean tone for this sort of thing, some classic licks there!
    3 points @fastonebaz - ok, I can see how well a nice bit of overdrive works! I like the (mainly) minor-based approach and some brilliant fast picking
    1 points @stratman3142 - superbly played, some great excursions, maybe I prefer the more trad approach

Really enjoyed this track, thanks again @stratman3142 ;
  • 5 Points @Modellista - I liked the tone of this one best and it sounded the most Authentic (insert Agnesi Photo) :) Bonus points for the chord at the end.

3 Points @stratman3142 - Another fine entry, great fluid playing and some nice Danny Cedrone style fast picking and legato in there.

1 Point @fastonebaz - Some nifty technique on show, great licks and switching of styles.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • 5 Points @Modellista - I liked the tone of this one best and it sounded the most Authentic (insert Agnesi Photo) :) Bonus points for the chord at the end.
    C6/9 x-x-8-9-10-10 FTW!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    C6/9 x-x-8-9-10-10 FTW!
    Aye, after I first listened, I had to find it on the Guitar and then forgot what it was a while later. The Chord at the beginning of Kiss by Prince is a 6/9 IIRC?
  • Aye, after I first listened, I had to find it on the Guitar and then forgot what it was a while later. The Chord at the beginning of Kiss by Prince is a 6/9 IIRC?

I think the first chord of Kiss is x-x-12-11-12-12. which could be viewed as D6/9, but (in terms of its function) I've always thought of it as another voicing of E9 with the root on the top and the b7 on the bottom.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Aye, after I first listened, I had to find it on the Guitar and then forgot what it was a while later. The Chord at the beginning of Kiss by Prince is a 6/9 IIRC?

I think the first chord of Kiss is x-x-12-11-12-12. which could be viewed as D6/9, but (in terms of its function) I've always thought of it as another voicing of E9 with the root on the top and the b7 on the bottom.

Aye, I know it's higher up, but never thought it might be an inversion of another chord, mind you it goes to A Major after so makes sense as in going from V to I?
  • Voting ends tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.