Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender HM Strat

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Went on to fender.com and when this came up I thought I'd gone to the wrong guitar company's website.

Especially the headstock, these almost seem like an April Fools joke mockup.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    Just goes to show that what goes around eventually comes around again, no matter how laughable it seemed in the intervening period. They were the height of fashion in 1988...

The headstock scribble is less crap than Gibson's attempt at a 100-year-old Les Paul signature too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 874
    Always wanted one thanks in no small part to Greg howe. Now might be the time.......... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    and I suddenly have a craving for liquorice allsorts
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is the 'Limited Edition' code for we don't expect to sell many: )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    edited February 2020
    newi123 said:
    Always wanted one thanks in no small part to Greg howe. Now might be the time.......... 
    Had one in black in the 80s and bought new for around £250/275. At that price, I could live with the cartoon-ish headstock. Now that they're over £1K, I'm not so sure, but they were good and versatile guitars
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27167
    edited February 2020
    I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy a Charvel like any regular person-slash-idiot? :D :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Kebabkid said:
    newi123 said:
    Had one in black in the 80s and bought new for around £250/275. At that price, I could live with the cartoon-ish headstock. Now that they're over £1K, I'm not so sure but they were good and versatile guitars
    You can't complain about the headstock, I sold you a Tyler! :-) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6730
    I loved my turquoise one in the early 90s. My first Fender
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    newi123 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    newi123 said:
    Had one in black in the 80s and bought new for around £250/275. At that price, I could live with the cartoon-ish headstock. Now that they're over £1K, I'm not so sure but they were good and versatile guitars
    You can't complain about the headstock, I sold you a Tyler! :-) 
    Ha Ha. I hope you're doing well?

I love the Tyler :) It's more the graphic on this Strat. It cheapens it
    Doing fine. You've kept the Tyler?

As ICBM said, the HM strat is absolutely just of its time. Should come with a pair of matching spandex pants. 
    newi123 said:
    Doing fine. You've kept the Tyler?

As ICBM said, the HM strat is absolutely just of its time. Should come with a pair of matching spandex pants. 
    Oh yes. It's not going anywhere and it's delivering.

Yes, the HM was of its time and less lurid in black.

Take care
  • I've got a Fender HMT (Thinline Tele) from the early 90s.

I killed the original humbuckers and wore the frets out...at that point, I had it defretted and put flatwounds on it...interesting experiment ;)

It's unusual with its strat headstock but nowhere near as cheesy as the HM Strat!
  • randellarandella Frets: 4225
    I have an original, was white, now refinished in candy apple red.

I notice that they’re now fitting them with proper Floyds, albeit the ‘special’ variant, instead of the Kahler Spyder they came with the first time around.

Has a wide fretboard, whilst the neck is slim back-to-front.  Feels more like a D rather than a C, with more pronounced shoulders than the Modern C on my USA Strat. 

Plays nicely, sounds pretty much like you’d expect. 25” scale, 24 frets. Mine was very well made.

The scribble on the headstock isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I’ve seen worse. At least it has a proper shape :).

I’d be interested to play a new one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I *so* wanted one of these the first time around! Ice Blue was the colour I liked best. Now I think I'd just get a Charvel, as @stickyfiddle suggested above... although I think he might have called me an idiot for doing so...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    Maybe the Heartfield Talon will make a comeback next.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    At that price it should have a better Floyd than the special. As others have said, for that price you can just get a Charvel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    I've got a Fender HMT (Thinline Tele) from the early 90s.

I killed the original humbuckers and wore the frets out...at that point, I had it defretted and put flatwounds on it...interesting experiment ;)

It's unusual with its strat headstock but nowhere near as cheesy as the HM Strat!
    I had the electro-acoustic version of that, still rather oddly called a HMT Tele. I hated the wide, flat neck and huge frets which didn't suit it at all - but are more explicable when you know the necks were originally left over from your version.

The headstock is actually a Jazzmaster shape, not Strat ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I *so* wanted one of these the first time around! Ice Blue was the colour I liked best. Now I think I'd just get a Charvel, as @stickyfiddle suggested above... although I think he might have called me an idiot for doing so...
    I did mean it with love, honest! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carlos said:
    At that price it should have a better Floyd than the special. As others have said, for that price you can just get a Charvel.
    Wow, a £1,000 guitar with a FR Special, that's poor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14327
    tFB Trader
    I liked them when they first came out in the late 80's  - Out of all the guitars from that era I much preferred these to most other 'pointy' headstock 'Supa' Strat Floyd based machines - However I'm not a fan of the whole genre