Gibsond and a Revolution

Have just fitted Kluson Revolution tuners to my SG.

They are wonderful.

Really rather good.

Everything the original tuners weren't - the right ratio, firm, no slight drift back once tuned up (no, I know how to sit strings - and this is the only one of my guitar that does it!)...  They even still look the part and haven't changed the balance.

It would have been nice if the screws weren't smaller than the originals, easily rectficied by sticking to the old ones, easy to fix, minor problem (but why?).

The original "Gibson Deluxe" things may have looked good, but that was all.  They felt and behaved like something from a seventies starter acoustic.  Why they haven't had at least a modicum of improvement over the decades is baffling.  They belong in a bin, not on an expensive "aspirational" instrument.

Much like the rest of the hardware; it's all been swapped. Most was something that would have looked sub standard on a '75 Hondo and easy to improve upon.

The woodwork's good though and the guitar is now as easy to play and use as any Fender.  As it should have been from the factory.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    I've been considering replacing the button gibson deluxe tuners on my 2019 les paul dc jr.

Can anyone recommend the right ones? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2408
    NelsonP said:
    I've been considering replacing the button gibson deluxe tuners on my 2019 les paul dc jr.

Can anyone recommend the right ones? 
    Well, the Kluson Revolutions mentioned above would definitely do the trick. Anything that's a Kluson style arrangement (that shape and screw position) with an 8mm (I assume) diameter shaft should be fine. Kluson Revolutions, Gotoh SD90 (I think)… I think TonePros do some Kluson style ones too.
    Tim
  • @headphones any chance of some pictures of the new tuners fitted on your guitar?

I have problems with mine. One has always been loose inside and the G always seems to be hit and miss when it comes to getting in tune. 

I'd be interested to see how they look.