Strat solderless pickup harness

What's Hot
I understand you can get solderless harnesses for Strat pickups. Are they worth the money? Seem to be about £85
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    DiMarzio was threatening to offer solderless block connector harnesses as part of a their ready-assembled pickguard range.

I associate solderless guitar/bass wiring with active electronics systems by EMG and Seymour Duncan.

On a vintage spec Stratocaster, check the pickup rout depths. The routs may not be deep enough to accommodate the solderless connector parts mounted on the underside of the pickups and excess cable.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    just buy a soldering iron FFS
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    LOL + Wiz = Wow!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • phil_b said:
    just buy a soldering iron FFS
    Ha! I have one and am planning on doing it I was just curious
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Solderless = unreliable.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited February 2020
    I was being facetious of course

But in my mind these kits at £60 to £100 are very over priced. solderless is the term used but in reality it just means the wires come pre fitted with connectors. some of them look very much like the type of connectors used in radio controlled models some use mini "choc block" screw connectors and some are lever closed connectors. when used in any other aplication these connectors cost penny's

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 954
    Bought one for my WIP Tele from Six String Supplies, a member of this forum. Worth every bloody penny, a work of art, it's a shame it's hidden from view. Will be buying another one for my next build.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • phil_b said:
    I was being facetious of course

But in my mind these kits at £60 to £100 are very over priced. solderless is the term used but in reality it just means the wires come pre fitted with connectors. some of them look very much like the type of connectors used in radio controlled models some use mini "choc block" screw connectors and some are lever closed connectors. when used in any other aplication these connectors cost penny's

I set up a Les Paul with that sort of thing years ago, it was bloomin brilliant when I went through a pickup trialing phase.

The idea has advantages.  It would take me minutes to swap pickups in a rehearsal room when checking things out at volume.

Then make a decision and solder in the winner.