NRGD (New Refinished Guitar Day)

What's Hot
skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
edited February 2020 in Guitar
Morning all,

Thought I’d post a few pics of the refin that Scott @GoldenEraGuitars finished for me this week. The work was done on my playergrade Pre CBS 61 Slab Board Strat which had been refinished at some stage in the past.

We went for fiesta red over a early 60s three tone burst, with some mild aging to match the naturally aged finish on the neck. The colour was a tough choice as there are some many great options, sea foam green was a close second...

In the second link you can see the body prepped prior to painting, with the old P90 middle position route and original dowel holes visible (front and back)

Theres a link below to the Imgur upload., I’ll try and figure out the embed (had it sorted and then imgur changed the link options!)

https://imgur.com/gallery/KNTUspV

https://imgur.com/gallery/huWjaSl

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wowed....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Absolutely love that. Excellent choice of colours. The refin relic over burst acknowledges it’s a refin without trying to hide it. 
  • Looks lovely, really nice shade of red
  • Them dowel holes are from where they hang the guitar when painting them  i believe. Even the custom shop strats have them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2803
    Fantastic
  • Fantastic looks the part, really good job and the ageing works and is very appropriate and tasteful. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10222
    edited February 2020
    Them dowel holes are from where they hang the guitar when painting them  i believe. Even the custom shop strats have them.
    No that's the paint or nail holes. The Dowel holes were used by the routers to hold it in place. Paint/nail holes will be gone from the refinishing process but the dowels will always remain.

Dowels and paint/nail holes alone are in no way a sign of authenticity. 

But I've no reason to suspect anything is wrong with this guitar, just commenting on this misunderstanding. 

Lovely colour, enjoy!
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1347
    That is very lovely. Thanks for posting.
    How does it play?
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    edited February 2020
    Cheers boys, yep really happy with how it turned out.

No hiding the fact its player grade and with the repro guard and sweetest neck profile

Plays really well 1 

• Funny how tastes can change. I really didn't used to like red strats, thought they were all a bit hank marvin and not rawcky enough.
    Totally different now I think they're well cool, and this one is about as cool as they come!
    Might have been something to do with seeing John frusciante playing one  =)

Sweet  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    Very nice. For those who are aware of the history of early-60s Fenders in the UK, this is almost the only correct finish choice :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10222
    Funny how tastes can change. I really didn't used to like red strats, thought they were all a bit hank marvin and not rawcky enough.
    Totally different now I think they're well cool, and this one is about as cool as they come!
    Might have been something to do with seeing John frusciante playing one  =)

Sweet  :)
    I was exactly the same! 
    ICBM said:
    Very nice. For those who are aware of the history of early-60s Fenders in the UK, this is almost the only correct finish choice :).
    Exactly this, which we have Hank to thank!
  • Looks lovely and well done to Scott for another fantastic finish 
  • That looks a beauty. I don’t normally like red guitars, but the colour on that looks sweet. Well jealous. :)

Swap for next week’s pocket money and a packet of Haribos?  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    Lovely. hNRGD. 

Do you have any “before” photos?
    edited February 2020
    Good point johnhe 

The best thing about the refin is that if I decide that I want it surf green or 3 tones burst in the future then it just goes back to Scott :)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7108
    edited February 2020
    ace that, think he's gonna be getting a call from me once I've figured how to strip hardware off a body and decided between surf green or shell pink...
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Nice one Tony, can definitely recommend