Pre-War Guitars - Molly Turttle

What's Hot
Hello

I was watching a Guitarist Youtube vid with video with Molly Tuttle and she starts by playing a stunning Old Martin D18 (i think)  or at least I though it was a vintage but then she talks about it....

its actually a company called Pre-War Guitars https://www.pre-warguitars.com check them out! 

Lots of Pros are using them. 

How do you reckon they compare to Atkin Guitars?

I have finally played some Atkin guitars yesterday and thought they where amazing. Very light weight and resonant. Played some Martin to compare and the Atkins where much much better. 

Some chap even brought in a Martin 00 1953 Brazilian RosewoodMahogany to part ex but he didn't the shop would not take it because of the Brazilian Rosewood. 

He let me play it and thought it was amazing. Lovely neck and was so easy to play! I should of given him the money for it (3K) but i have no clue about vintage guitars! 

But its made me really love the old Martin sound and feel of the guitars. 

Vintage v Atkin or Pre-war?? 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You should have taken the 1953 00! Pre War guitars are meant to be stunning, I'd have one myself but there aren't any UK dealers yet and I'd never take a punt on a mail order 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited February 2020
    You should have taken the 1953 00! Pre War guitars are meant to be stunning, I'd have one myself but there aren't any UK dealers yet and I'd never take a punt on a mail order 
    I know! To be honest the guitar was creating a scene around the shop. Everyone was coming to try the guitar and saying what you doing! This is amazing, you'll regret it! I think that he was persuaded to keep it. 

My Dad was born in 53' too... he is still with us but damn.... sound just pushed the money at him...

I think this could be the one that got away
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • all videos of the Pre Wars sound frigging good. They looks stunning. 

From the pictures they are there. Very genuine looking. 

The only real problem with the Atkin guitars, the rosewoods are light in colour. Don't know why but that would bother me
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4213
    Last time I looked into it, Atkin use Sitka rather than the more "vintage correct" Adirondack that Pre War (and Martin Authentic series) use. I certainly hear and feel under the fingers quite a difference between those two spruces - not necessarily one automatically better than the other - but that would be quite a difference between Pre War and Atkin. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewy said:
    Last time I looked into it, Atkin use Sitka rather than the more "vintage correct" Adirondack that Pre War (and Martin Authentic series) use. I certainly hear and feel under the fingers quite a difference between those two spruces - not necessarily one automatically better than the other - but that would be quite a difference between Pre War and Atkin. 
    Hey, on the Atkin Website you can order a Adi top! 
  • Not sure how much extra the option would be though?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Rule number 1. If you play a guitar that you love and you have the means/desire, buy it. Don't let it be the one that got away.
    When buying new there is always the question of what will it sound like when it's opened up in a few years? With a 1953 guitar you already know. Just check the joints are solid and there are no lose braces inside.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2020
    That Molly Tuttle is nuts on the guitar, her flatpicking technique is out of this world!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Yeah, she is amazing. One of the best right hands anywhere:

https://youtu.be/awFeDMNiKX4

So clean, and the timing is perfect. There is a video of her where she is with Tommy Emmanuel, and he is having a bit of fun and showboating. To my ears, her solos are better.
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    And apparently she and Billy Strings used to be housemates in Nashville.

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
  • Just got this back from a dealer who sell both Atkin and pre war guitars in Germany.... I ask what they though about the two.

Let me start by saying that the are both high quality vintage inspired guitars. Atkin labels itself vintage inspired, Pre War says they build replica’s of vintage instruments.

If you are looking for a guitar with a serious vintage vibe, feel and looks Atkin could very well be your choice. The guitars are light weight, very resonant and have a played in feel and a subtle aged appearance.

If you are after true vintage tone Pre War may be more your thing. They hunt for that woody somewhat dried out vintage tone. And they nail it. Also the offer some more variations on the aging. You can choose the distress level raging from 1 to 4.

A Pre War OOO 18 would cost €5799, - including VAT.

Building time presently is over 18 months. But we have building slots and I have some left for oktober this year

We also have a Atking OOO in stock. And that is priced at €3499,-
  • If you are still searching it is worth considering the Martin Authentic series too - they are very good
  • If you are still searching it is worth considering the Martin Authentic series too - they are very good
    Don’t think they do a 000-18? 

Have you still got your Nacho tele? 
  • I look at Eastman guitars today and the E60M-TC has similar specs at a fraction of the price. 

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e6om_tc
    Don’t think they do a 000-18? 

Have you still got your Nacho tele? 
    Was just in case your search changes!

Yep - still love it 

• Check these vids out 

Which one do you prefer?
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Hard to say for sure as the 3rd is flatpicked. None are too shabby aye. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495

Which one do you prefer?

IMO, none.

They all seem to have the sound of a lot of baked spruce soundboard guitar when they are very dry but to my ears are lacking the sparkle of their non baked counterparts.

For the PWGC OM-18

I prefer the sound of a Martin OM-18GE

Or B&C OM18