Idiot Check

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
Another gig another guitar stand and Tambourine to add to the pile of stuff bands leave behind after gigs.

ive been gathering expressions for what we call the Twat Check, the last look around the venue to make sure you haven’t left anything.

So far:

Twat check

idiot check ( for those who take offence at twat)

kill the stage , apparently the Swedish expression 

A nervous , from TV and film production 

Any more?
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    Everywhere I've been it was called an Idiot Check. It seems more like an idiot thing than a twat thing, though as I'm bang in the middle of the idiot/twat Venn diagram I can't tell. What I can say, though, is that it's something that's come in very useful to me when I'm leaving hotel rooms (along with other things I learned loading in and out). 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    Oh, and as I'm sure is common experience, the best thing is to have a non-idiot or someone who's prepared to pretend not to be an idiot for five minutes, to do it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Yep, it's "idiot check" in both my bands. "Twat" is reserved for "Twat of the match", ie the one who properly fucks up on stage, to the point where the song unravels.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Idiot check for me too. 

Although I keep leaving capos behind 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • idiot check, twat is for the drunk guy asking for a song you've already told him twice you dont play.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Didn't know it was a named thing, but I always do it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Yep, I'm always the one who goes back in after all the other band members claim there's nothing left.

It's usually just personal effects like scarves or whatnot from the girls in the band, but occasionally it's equipment too. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    DCDC (David Cameron Daughter Check)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Idiot check.

Mandatory that someone says 'have you done the idiot check?' and someone else says 'he's already in his car.....' 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Didn't know it had any sort of name but it's something I've always done.  I've had to collect various things once everyone has finished packing up - mainly small items but I've had a drummer leave his snare on the stage before.

Left the job to the bass player once and he had to go back to the venue the next day for his music stand which, last time I saw it, was stood in the middle of the stage.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Never given it a name but it amazes me how many bands don’t do it.  
    Most weeks I’m running the sound at gigs and regularly pickup something a band has left.   Even worse are the multi band days when I’ll often have everlasting power supplies, cables, picks and various stands left behind.     We’ll message bands but they often can’t be bothered to collect so I donate to the school I teach at.  
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Idiot check
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Idiot Check.

Two weeks ago, I did the check and found our bass player had left...

his bass!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Just about every band I've worked with calls it an idiot check on the way out, the other one on the way into the venue is "lets have a reccy " meaning lets do a  reconnaissance mission before unloading to work out where the bands playing, what doors are best for the load in etc
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Yep. Nob'ead check. Impossible to be announced without someone counting all the band/crew members in the immediate vicinity and saying "yep, all here". 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Saw a band play last week, they are on tour. The guitarist/singer said "This is the point that I would get the Mandolin out but someone left it at yesterdays gig!"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    axisus said:
    Saw a band play last week, they are on tour. The guitarist/singer said "This is the point that I would get the Mandolin out but someone left it at yesterdays gig!"
    On purpose? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Idiot check. When I used to provide sound and light it was amazing how many times I won gear!
    Don't forget dressing rooms or toilets too for shoes, phones, coats etc. Much 9f my stuff is marked with name and phone number just in case. I once got a call from a bloke walking his dog. We'd left a small black carry case with a pair of cheap condenser mica on the empty barrels outside a club in the dark. Not overly valuable but s#it happens even when you've searched inside!
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I once completed an idiot check, but still managed to leave a '71 Tele in its case under the stage.  Luckily it was still there the next day and the venue held on to it for me.  So, there's idiots and then total F***ING idiots!

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    ICBM said:
    axisus said:
    On purpose? ;)
    Oh yeah, I also did literally that once.  I loaded what I thought was my mando into the car, but it turned out to be a viola (the cases looked identical).  This was at a London venue, so I had to get it shipped back to me.  Rather stressful.

(The viola did also belong to our band, by the way - otherwise I'd probably have kept it instead and sold it on for a massive profit...)
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here