Introduction - Hi guys ! (and NDG)

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2014
    What lovely guitars.

Don't get put off by one or two of our number being dicks occasionally, most of us are not unpleasant :)

Hope you stick around, having been a member of this place and the old MusicRadar forum (which had most of the same people) for the last five years, I've learned a hell of a lot, had a lot of laughs, become a better player and drooled over some really nice guitars.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I see, I see. What's your postcode and when are you out?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Ha, I work from home :p
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Excellent :D I remember (from another forum :D) you got a killer deal on the custom 24, the singlecut is killer too. :)
  • The guitars I own are completely disproportionate in number and quality to my playing ability, and I've been playing (after a fashion) for nearly 20 years. So as much as I might raise an eyebrow at the staggering level of investment this early into playing an instrument, I have to admit that there's at least part of me that would love to be able to do the same. If he enjoys playing them, and isn't bothered by other guitarists occasionally staring open-mouthed, then fair play to him  :)

The one thing I might suggest is that the OP is missing out on the thrill of the whole 'achievement based gear reward' thing, though I've been guilty of short circuiting that one myself on innumerable occasions.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The one thing I might suggest is that the OP is missing out on the thrill of the whole 'achievement based gear reward' thing, 

There's always Pedals, Amps...:p I don't have a Telecaster or Strat yet.........lol
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Or a 335 ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17623
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader
    Any suggestion that you should play on cheap shit guitars to "pay your dues" is total rubbish. If you've got a couple of grand to spend then by all means learn on a PRS. It's what I'd do.

A mate of mine started learning and wanted me to help him choose a guitar. He said he'd always liked Martins so my only question was "Can you afford a Martin?", the answer was "Yep" so that's what I told him to get while others were saying he had to learn on a beat up piece of shit because he was a beginner.

On the subject of promoting business, speaking as a mod even if you were I wouldn't mind. One of the stated aims of this place is promoting the UK music business so someone offering a guitar photography service would be more than welcome to post in the Made in the UK section and indeed I believe Feline Guitars actually do and have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    Any suggestion that you should play on cheap shit guitars to "pay your dues" is total rubbish. If you've got a couple of grand to spend then by all means learn on a PRS. It's what I'd do.

A mate of mine started learning and wanted me to help him choose a guitar. He said he'd always liked Martins so my only question was "Can you afford a Martin?", the answer was "Yep" so that's what I told him to get while others were saying he had to learn on a beat up piece of shit because he was a beginner.

On the subject of promoting business, speaking as a mod even if you were I wouldn't mind. One of the stated aims of this place is promoting the UK music business so someone offering a guitar photography service would be more than welcome to post in the Made in the UK section and indeed I believe Feline Guitars actually do and have.
    That was my thinking too.

One thing about learning a guitar is getting an instrument that you actually want to pick it up everyday and play with it.  When I was in college I borrowed a friend's classical guitar, now I realise how bad that was to play.  About a year ago I borrowed a friend's Chinese made guitar in a brand i've never come across before, or since, that is also painful to play, action really high.  

So I basically wanted a Taylor, I still want to get a full size acoustic eventually (I was going to get a 314ce).  That's how I ended up with 2 Taylors in the first place.

If I ever give up on this, I'll put the PRS's on the wall and admire at them like beautiful pieces of art :D It's cheaper than some paintings right? lol

P.s. Thanks for clarifying the photos thing :)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    I'd love a T5, though I'd probably sell it after a while ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Next stage of the initiation... now we wanna hear you play them ;) 

What's the GS Mini like? I love Taylor acoustics. 

And also what amps etc do you use? 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Welcome aboard. Haven't seen the pics but get the feeling I'd be jealous.

Phase 2, theres a bloke called Cornish who makes effects pedals. You may end up liking him at some point :)

I love the GS mini, it's very resonate and loud for something so small.  The nut width could be a little wider, it makes some chords difficult, especially when learning but all in all, a really really could acoustic and cheap for a Taylor !

I only use a THR10 at the moment.  It'll be fine for practicing, most of the time I just play my electrics to practice scales and chords totally unplugged anyway.  I do have my eyes on a tube amp though, but waiting for it to come into stock so I can try it.  No rush :)

I'll post some clips of my playing in due course.  In crystal clarity filmed with multiple cameras :p
    Welcome aboard. Haven't seen the pics but get the feeling I'd be jealous.

Phase 2, theres a bloke called Cornish who makes effects pedals. You may end up liking him at some point :)
    Pics are back on the first post. :)

as for pedals, erm, how about, Pedal Train 2,TC Polytune, Strymon Bigsky, Timeline, Mobius should take care of most of the delay and modulation, Mad Professor Forest Green compressor, Blackout effects Blunderbuss Fuzz, how's that for a start? lol

I am kidding !!!!

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 998
    fantastic selection of guitars you have there,and welcome   :D
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10274
    Great pictures mate and some lovely guitars.

I'm sure if most of us where in the position to buy something as nice as your guitars when we started playing we'd do exactly the same as you.

Get the best you can afford regardless of your current ability.You don't have to justify it to anyone.(unless your married)

Congratulations on a fantastic collection and welcome aboard.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    RaymondLin;261740" said:
    Octahedron said:

I love the GS mini, it's very resonate and loud for something so small.  The nut width could be a little wider, it makes some chords difficult, especially when learning but all in all, a really really could acoustic and cheap for a Taylor !

May I suggest the guitar linked below if nut width is an issue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191183560647

The seller is a member here and his speciality is guitars for sausage fingers...

:D
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12373
    edited June 2014
    Wow that was a prickly reception (from some). For the record I was the one that invited Raymond over here after I saw his pics over on a photo forum we both belong to. Definitely nothing to do with self promotion or spamming the forum.

Good to see you made it Raymond. Sorry you got a rough ride. :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014

Haha, it's alright, perhaps I'll go buy a green guitar to make myself feel better…then place them side by side like traffic lights…..ooh, that'll be a cool picture if I can stick them up on a pole.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Great pics, lovely guitars and welcome.

Never subscribed to the 'paying the dues' thing either. If you have money, spend it on something cool, or save it. Just don't waste it.....unless you want to...!! You've not wasted a penny there and if they inspire you to learn more, its all good.

Unless I've missed reading the rule book somewhere along the line that states we all must start with a piece of shit and work our way up??
  • With regards to getting a valve amp... Or a solid state amp (depending on style you want, valve does not always equal better). 

Get to know which models on the THR you like first.  Then buy the real version of it, or something similar, and try before you buy (obviously). I say that because they vary so much in sound, a Vox won't give you a Marshall sound.  

And ask here for reliability issues - there are a few amp techs here who will give you a lowdown, and reliability is important! Valve amps can be pricey to repair.