Still love for the Revstars?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
Sold a guitar last week, so have a HH hole in the arsenal. I am looking at the Revstars currently. Most likely the 620, but would audition the 502 (without the tailpiece).
I have noticed while reading back through threads, folk have bought them, then sold them on again, but not necessarily saying anything negative about them.
I am also going to try a Guild S100 Polara just for the heck of it, as it's in stock in the same shop as the Yamahas, but I like the look of the Revstars, so these are in pole position?
I've seen comments like "uninspiring" which doesn't inspire me!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    I've got a 620, well 2 actually, as one that was quite light came up for sale, but it turned out I preferred the heavier one.

If you don't like a Les Paul, chances are the Revstar won't float your boat - to me they feel quite similar, but the upper fret access and the dry switch are the reason that I pick the Revstar up more than the LP.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    @JohnCordy Never was a huge LP fan. I thought, just going by the vids, they had a bit more of a "modern" feel to match the modern look... Well they look modern to me :) 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9674
    edited March 2020
    My impression of Yamaha guitars as that the lower end ones can be a bit characterless. However the higher end models (probably 5xx and above) have rather more about them.

I owned a 311 Pacifica a while back which whilst a perfectly competent instrument was unfortunately quite bland and got moved on. I've now got a 611 which despite being superficially similar is a far better guitar in every way with more character.

Also, be aware that Yamaha guitars will not hold their value and you will lose money if you decide to move it on.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    @HAL9000 and my biggest problem is moving on gear.... Gibson it is then  B)
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Have played a few - as per the above "sterile" is pretty much how I'd characterise them, but there's certainly nothing wrong with them. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Get a Yamaha Superflighter if you can find one.   I have 3 and they're superb, much cooler than the revstars, made in Japan, and are full of mojo..
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    I've got the 502 with the tailpiece and it plays brilliantly, sounds a e and the only reason I'm selling it is that I need a deposit for something else that's being handmade and last in etc.
    If I had the money I'd keep it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I really like them aesthetically. I've had a couple of 611s & I've nothing but good things to say about those, so I'm sure I'll own a Revstar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Got the entry level Revstar (320) recently as I wanted a simple no frills twin humbucker guitar that wasn't a Gibson. Also the fact that it's dead cheap to buy is a bonus! Have to say that it's a really great guitar - comfortable to play with a surpringsly versatile range of sounds. Excellent build quality, fit and finish perfect with a lovely bit of rosewood on the neck. I can recommend this one but I've no experience of any others in the range.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    PRS cough PRS ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I've owned several Yamaha guitars- an MSG, a Pacifica 412, a Pacifica 812W and an APX1000 electro. All of them were good guitars but none were great guitars. I'd have a PRS SE (maybe with a pickup change) over any of them tbh.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I never know what the characterless/sterile tag actually means in terms of sound.

I wonder if the character referred to that the classic models have comes from preconceptions about them (e.g. how they've been used by other players) so that's why it doesn't seem to exist on non classic models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    The lower-end ones vary hugely. I’ve worked on a 320 which is probably the worst Yamaha I’ve ever played - overly heavy, dull-sounding, characterless and with a nasty hump in the neck that needed a major fret dress before it was even properly playable.

downsideup11’s experience is more in keeping with normal Yamaha quality, and I’ve also played a better model (I can’t remember the number) that was much nicer, but I definitely wouldn’t buy one of the lower range ones without trying it first.

’Characterless’ means it had a completely uninteresting sound that could have been absolutely any cheap two-humbucker guitar with muddy pickups and didn’t really respond well to playing dynamics, if it matters :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    There’s a Japanese revstar bargain for sale in the classifieds, not mine, user name selling is @krameree   used to play in a band with him years ago, good bloke and a very talented guitarist 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Yamaha have lost their way now.

SG, SF, SA, AES, TRB and BB, but even the new BB is pants IMO.

SE are great for sub £400, but avoid the double locking ones.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeneticmikenetic Frets: 70
    I have a Revstar 820CR - it's an absolutely cracking guitar. Plays great, sounds great, looks great.
  • I am also going to try a Guild S100 Polara just for the heck of it
    I wanted one for a long time, with it being Kim Thayil’s axe of choice. When I finally got to try one, the pickups sounded great, but I found the high frets and thickish neck not right for me, much to my disappointment. But who knows it could be perfect for you? They look super awesome.