Advice wanted for home setup: guitar w/ multi-fx, Digitech Trio+ and no guitar amp

close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited March 2020 in Guitar

I would like a little connectivity advice please. This is for home use only. I am looking to move away from using amps and for all guitar signals to go through a mixer and speakers.

My main aims are two-fold.

1] Playing alone.

I want to be able to amplify guitar, incorporate the Trio+ in the signal path, incorporate a multi-fx in the Trio+ fx loop and then use the two outputs of the Trio+  to separate its in-built bass / guitar and the guitar sounds.

I also want to plug and play audio from either an mp3 player or a laptop, using an aux in, for backing tracks etc.

2] Playing with a second guitarist.

I want to plug my guitar in to the Trio+ similar to above but without the multi-fx in the loop. I want the second guitarist to send their signal in to the multi-fx and then direct to some amplification.

In this scenario I also want to plug and play audio from either an mp3 player or a laptop, using an aux in, for backing tracks etc.

I have a powered mixer fan too noisy in a small room environment. Plus it and the 10" passive speakers together take up too much of the space I have.

Is there an option to get what I want albeit with a smaller pa setup – smaller / less noisy powered mixer and smaller speakers?

Would an all-in-one powered mixer / speaker combo such as a Behringer B207 or similar work for my requirements?

Alternatively, can I do without a powered mixer / passive speaker setup and make use of the active monitor speakers I have – connecting to them with a passive mixer? If this scenario is a good / better path to take then …

What mixer would fit the bill? (Something compact)

I am going to hang on to a Katana Mini I have. Is there any role for it in the scenarios I have described?

Any other comments?

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2952
    Audio interface with more inputs and Mixbus. That's how I do it.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited March 2020
    I can thoroughly recommend the Yamaha MG12XU mixer.  Compact but versatile.

Will take the various inputs and should work with your powered monitors.  Has some nice built in fx and is also a plug and play audio interface for laptops or ipads if you want to do some recording.

You should be able to take the ‘recording out’ from your Katana mini into the mixer too.

What multi-fx unit? Does it have speaker/amp emulation?

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited March 2020
    I can thoroughly recommend the Yamaha MG12XU mixer.  Compact but versatile.

What multi-fx unit? Does it have speaker/amp emulation?
    Thanks.
     I will check the Yamaha out.

My fx is a Mooer GE100.

The speakers are M-Audio AV40 ... are they enough?
  • I've got a fairly basic, 4 / 6 channel passive mixer sitting redundant in my mountain of YBTB gear if you want it for relative peanuts. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I do exactly what you want to do. I play along to either YouTube jam tracks or the TRIO+. I can record the results on the R8 if I want to.

The amp is a 50w SMSL jobbie that has given sterling service over the last couple of years. The guitar goes into the Stomp, the TRIO+ and then the R8. 

By the way, I don't think you can separate the bass and the drums on the TRIO+. They're not stereo as far as I know.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited March 2020
    Wolfetone said:
    I do exactly what you want to do. I play along to either YouTube jam tracks or the TRIO+. I can record the results on the R8 if I want to.

The amp is a 50w SMSL jobbie that has given sterling service over the last couple of years. The guitar goes into the Stomp, the TRIO+ and then the R8. 

Where did you get your music/conductor stand from mate, looks solid . I could do with one for my Firehawk?
    @JAYJO It's just a heavier quality standard orchestra stand.
    Wolfetone said:
    @JAYJO It's just a heavier quality standard orchestra stand.
    Amazon bog std heavy orchestra stand do?
    I would say so. There's hardly any weight in what I have on there and you can angle and swivel the rig until you have it just right. I always put my multi-trackers on orchestra stands. the one in the picture isn't the cheapest one. I think it cost me about thirty quid.
    edited March 2020
    Wolfetone said:
    I would say so. There's hardly any weight in what I have on there and you can angle and swivel the rig until you have it just right. I always put my multi-trackers on orchestra stands. the one in the picture isn't the cheapest one. I think it cost me about thirty quid.
    They have perforated metal stand for £26 or full metal looks similar to yours is £49.  
    Sorry op for post hi-jack.
    edited March 2020
    @JAYJO This is what I have;

Wolfetone said:
    @JAYJO This is what I have;

Thanks mate just bought one . £16.50 + £8 delivery. many thanks for the info.
    blobb said:
    Audio interface with more inputs and Mixbus. That's how I do it.
    I don't always want to have my laptop within the setup as it gets used for other purposes too,
    I've got a fairly basic, 4 / 6 channel passive mixer sitting redundant in my mountain of YBTB gear if you want it for relative peanuts. 
    Can you pm me details - I'll certainly consider it as an option. Thank you.
    Wolfetone said:
    I do exactly what you want to do. I play along to either YouTube jam tracks or the TRIO+. I can record the results on the R8 if I want to.The amp is a 50w SMSL jobbie that has given sterling service over the last couple of years. The guitar goes into the Stomp, the TRIO+ and then the R8. 

Your pics have gone and the page is now a sea of gray blankness!

I'd like to see / know more ... although you mention an amp and I want to do without an amp really.
    Wolfetone said:
    By the way, I don't think you can separate the bass and the drums on the TRIO+. They're not stereo as far as I know.
    I'm looking to separate the bass / drums from the out-going guitar using the mixer output for the backing and the amp output for the guitar.
    The bass & drums can not be separated and yes, it is a mono out.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2952
    edited March 2020
    you can split the bass / drums. Sort of. A guy put together a script you can run on your pc which creates 2 files from a 'song', if your interested I'll see if I can find a link.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    close2u said:
    Wolfetone said:
    I do exactly what you want to do. I play along to either YouTube jam tracks or the TRIO+. I can record the results on the R8 if I want to.The amp is a 50w SMSL jobbie that has given sterling service over the last couple of years. The guitar goes into the Stomp, the TRIO+ and then the R8. 

Your pics have gone and the page is now a sea of gray blankness!

I'd like to see / know more ... although you mention an amp and I want to do without an amp really.
    They're showing up on all of my devices so it may be your end? 

The amp is about 120x90x40mm so very small. I guess you could go for powered speakers?
    Wolfetone said:
    They're showing up on all of my devices so it may be your end?  The amp is about 120x90x40mm so very small. I guess you could go for powered speakers?
    Still no pics ???

I would like to know if powered speakers would be a good option? And whether my M-Audio AV40 are of sufficient size / quality etc?