ATB vs World Guitars - which should I check out?

What's Hot
JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
I am heading down south to see my parents with my partner next week. She has said we can stop off at a guitar shop on the way. Both ATB and world guitars have been on my radar for a while and seem to get great reviews. 

If you could only go to one though, which would you go to? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Only been to World guitars, but it is great, specifically because every single guitar is well set up!
  • ten77guitarten77guitar Frets: 1173
    edited March 2020
    Depends if you want a vintage guitar or not. Or are you just window shopping?
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    If you choose ATB, I think you need to make an appointment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    tFB Trader
    ATB is more vintage - WG is more modern - Both good stores and interesting selection of nice gear
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    edited March 2020
    Strat54 said:
    If you choose ATB, I think you need to make an appointment.
    I believe they’re stickers - sorry, I meant ‘sticklers’ - for that.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    WG, ATB is appointment only as above, I did wander past not long ago. WG - it can look a bit shut as the front door is always closed but you can just pop in and look around, the guys who run it are great too. It is shut on a Wednesday though, as I found out a couple of weeks ago. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Yes,  ATB is by appointment. It's not a regular 'store', but more like a house with lots of vintage guitars in there. A bit like I'd like my house to be. The advantage of the appointment system is that the the 'showroom' is all yours, and no-one else will be looking at, or playing, guitars. It's a bit 'kid in a sweet shop' for me, and I've made about ten purchases from there. I'm sure there'll be more. Because I'm weak. Very weak.
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    DB1 said:
    Yes,  ATB is by appointment. It's not a regular 'store', but more like a house with lots of vintage guitars in there. A bit like I'd like my house to be.
    You're getting there! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As others have already said, if you're going serious vintage guitar shopping then make an appointment with ATB, they have an incredible selection. I was there in January, if you're looking for something specific let me know and I'll see if I remember filming it for them! 

edited March 2020
    DB1 said:
    Yes,  ATB is by appointment. It's not a regular 'store', but more like a house with lots of vintage guitars in there. A bit like I'd like my house to be.
    You're getting there! 
    I reckon I'm only about 80 guitars short of my target! @SteveRobinson - the ES-130 that you set up is superb, by the way. It may have to star in a NGD thread soon.
    Call me Dave.
  • ATB_GuitarsATB_Guitars Frets: 214
    We are both totally different and serve different markets. If you are looking for, or want to try out any vintage guitars then we would probably be your best bet. 

If you want to see new guitars then World Guitars would be best and I am sure Julian and Mark would welcome you. 

Ideally yes, you would need an appointment but if you knock on our door and we do not already have a booking, you would be most welcome to try anything you want. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    OK, I'll do that then. =)
    Call me Dave.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Depends what the wife is going to be doing whilst you're looking at guitars.
    Cheltenham is a nice place to shop unlike Stonehouse. All she'll have to look at is a load of dope smoking mongs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    SidNewton said:
    Depends what the wife is going to be doing whilst you're looking at guitars.
    Cheltenham is a nice place to shop unlike Stonehouse. All she'll have to look at is a load of dope smoking mongs.
    it's not that great anymore! Lol at the Stonehouse comment though  =)
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    Thanks for all the help guys, both shops sound great, think atb might be more for me though. I'd love to book an appointment @ATB_Guitars, is it best to pm you to arrange it? 
    I'd say give Mike a call - landline and mobile numbers are on the website. Parking's pretty easy in the multi-storey just round the corner (Regent's Arcade?).   Don't eat all the biscuits though * -   I may be there in the next week as well.

* I mean it.  ;)
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    DB1 said:
    I'd say give Mike a call - landline and mobile numbers are on the website. Parking's pretty easy in the multi-storey just round the corner (Regent's Arcade?).   Don't eat all the biscuits though * -   I may be there in the next week as well.

* I mean it.  ;)
    Thats great, I’ll give him a call today. Thanks!