unwound strings?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
I'm a bit of a heathen in that I just change individual strings on my electric guitars as and when they break. I keep a box with strings in and a few days ago I took out my last D string (24). I whipped online and ordered 4 new ones, but plonker that I am, I seem to have ordered some unwound ones. Are they going to feel weird? are they going to sound weird? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9629
    Put them on and let us know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    axisus said:
    I'm a bit of a heathen in that I just change individual strings on my electric guitars as and when they break. I keep a box with strings in and a few days ago I took out my last D string (24). I whipped online and ordered 4 new ones, but plonker that I am, I seem to have ordered some unwound ones. Are they going to feel weird? are they going to sound weird? 
    Yes, very. The main difference is that they will be *very* heavy in terms of tension if you tune them up to D - a plain string is roughly equivalent in tension to a wound string of about 25% larger, so they will feel like a 30-gauge string. They will also sound very loud, strident and clangy.

If you wonder why they exist at all, they're intended as 3rd strings for players who tune down a long way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14433
    Plain .024" as a D is going to feel wrong to the touch and the intonation will probably be out. 

Do you have any friends who play either pedal steel or a Rickenbacker electric twelve string?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Personally, I'd try not to break strings.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I guess I'll just order the right ones! I'll probably try one at some point.