Describe my neck with accuracy?

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
 OK, could be just me, but I'm really becoming increasingly puzzled/annoyed /tired/frustrated by statements such as 'XXX brand guitars have 'skinny' necks'.
Or " I have to have a baseball bat neck'.

This doesn't mean much in the world of baseball bats, much less guitars.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Number-of-elements-and-nodes-created-in-construction-of-bat-models_tbl1_267453146
https://www.baseballrace.com/baseball-bat-size-chart/

We don't describe anything else in such vague terms, so why neck descriptions?
If a body is 'X' mm deep, then that's what it is.
Similarly, a nut can be 'X' wide & 'Y' deep & a 'C' 'D' 'V' carve etc. can be described reasonably accurately, or at least in fairly uniform terms.

Is there some universal neck/curve/dimension template diagram available that can be used as an actual objective comparison?
Instead of more of the 'it's skinny, I love baseball bat(shit)'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14433
    Warmoth has a selection guide for neck profiles complete with dimensions taken at strategic points. Say, nut, seventh, twelfth, fifteenth fret. This is of limited assistance because sample points need to be taken far more frequently.

Some Fender Custom Shop customers supply a favourite neck that they wish to have replicated. Laser measuring devices scan that neck and a CNC machine produces duplicates. Even then, there is scope for variation due to hand sanding and finish thickness.

In the final analysis, how many of us could run a hand along a guitar neck and give accurate estimations of its width and thickness? We either like it or we don't.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    Fat, uncomfortable and like a tree with strings.

V-shaped and like a fence post.

Wide, flat and cramp-inducing.

That describes quite a lot of necks accurately. Any good?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    Thanks for the information.
    However the comment relating to  "In the final analysis, how many of us could run a hand along a guitar neck and give accurate estimations of its width and thickness? We either like it or we don't."

Doesn't really advance my (possibly tilting at windmills) question, If anything, it just 
    perpetuates it.
    Bit of a bugger maybe, but I'm sure that we can arrive at a reasonable solution... or not?
    ICBM said:
    Fat, uncomfortable and like a tree with strings.

V-shaped and like a fence post.

Wide, flat and cramp-inducing.

That describes quite a lot of necks accurately. Any good?

:)
    By George he's got it !!!   ;) 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    Adam, is that you?
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    Fender's drawings can be helpful, but only if you've played a few different F shapes/profiles to begin with and know what you like, obviously.
    JezWynd said:
    Adam, is that you?

¿Qué? Quien es Adam?
    barnstorm said:
    Fender's drawings can be helpful, but only if you've played a few different F shapes/profiles to begin with and know what you like, obviously.
    Helpful, but I was talking about guitars generally, not any particular brand. Ta,  :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Giving me the size in millimetres doesn't mean as much to me as wide and fat, skinny, narrow or baseball bat.
    Especially now we've left the EU and we're back onto imperial measures, God's own units of measurement.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    Giving me the size in millimetres doesn't mean as much to me as wide and fat, skinny, narrow or baseball bat.
    Especially now we've left the EU and we're back onto imperial measures, God's own units of measurement.
    I hear you, but.....I'll accept yards,inches, cubits,  barleycorns, specified species of whale fin sizes or fucking standard British dick inches, just make it bloody quantifiable, uniform & repeatable?

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    If you’re buying remotely I can understand why this matters - though you can always send something back if it’s really not working for you.

Otherwise, give something a try. My experience tells me that some neck shapes that are at odds with what you’re familiar with can initially feel off putting - but can work brilliantly for you once you’ve got used to their feel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you’re buying remotely I can understand why this matters.
    Nail : Head : Hit :+1: 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I still think it's difficult to judge how a neck will feel even with highly detailed specifications.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    I still think it's difficult to judge how a neck will feel even with highly detailed specifications.
    I agree with you, but there has (please) to be a better way than that which exists at present (or not) to get closer to some accurate conformity?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    JezWynd said:
    Adam, is that you?

¿Qué? Quien es Adam?

• Frank Zappa once said that describing neck shapes was like dancing about architecture.....or something.
  • On one of the Les Paul forums I've seen owners record neck thickness at the 1st and 12th fret (not including the fret height) for different models. It can be useful if you are comparing another guitar with one you own, provided the neck profile is the same , e.g. they are both 'C' shape.  Agree it would be good if there was some sort of standard measurement that would work across different neck shapes, and relate to the size of your hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hmmmm. I still don't get that a more standard quantifiable measurement is not available or attainable?
    As for the Adam Schiff reference, a bit tenuous & irrelevant.
    On one of the Les Paul forums I've seen owners record neck thickness at the 1st and 12th fret (not including the fret height) for different models. It can be useful if you are comparing another guitar with one you own, provided the neck profile is the same , e.g. they are both 'C' shape.  Agree it would be good if there was some sort of standard measurement that would work across different neck shapes, and relate to the size of your hand.
    Again, some sensible advice :+1: 
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    barnstorm said:
    Yeah, just saying I think they’re the best visual reference we’ve got, mostly because there are so many. I imagine most necks in terms of the Fender profiles when I see the basic specs from a manufacturer whose guitars I’ve not played before.