Four Acoustics

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932

Okay here ‘s what they are -

1 – Lowden 032C

2 – DJW (Luthier) Parlour (cedar top, bubinga back & sides)

3 – Tanglewood TW1000

4 – Taylor GS Mini

What was the point of this? Not really sure - maybe just to get some outside opinions about how they sound. I was perhaps hoping it might sway or help me decide which I might sell. It appears the Lowden came out best though it’s oddly the one I least enjoy playing. The DJW is fabulous to play though it never sounds as good when I record it as it does when I’m playing it. The Tanglewood and Taylor are just very decent solid guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited March 2020
    1 has a muffled top-end and the low note attack is far too boomy and overpowers the other picking. Didn't like this at all.

2 is obviously a small guitar, but has a nice chimey openness about it that I like even though small guitars aren't really my thing.

3 is slightly scooped in the mids but otherwise sounds quite balanced - closest to the definitive picked dreadnought sound. My favourite.

4 has a slightly odd nasal 'whangy' frequency in the upper mids that I don't like.

No particular surprises to see what they are - I had a Lowden O10 once and didn't like it either! Beautifully made but didn't work for me soundwise. I made a stupid mistake not to sell it first when I should have...

If you don't enjoy playing the Lowden then I would sell it, regardless of what anyone else thinks. Never talk yourself into thinking you "should" prefer the "better" guitar , when you actually don't. It's too personal for that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• No particular surprises to see what they are - I had a Lowden O10 once and didn't like it either! Beautifully made but didn't work for me soundwise. I made a stupid mistake not to sell it first when I should have...

If you don't enjoy playing the Lowden then I would sell it, regardless of what anyone else thinks. Never talk yourself into thinking you "should" prefer the "better" guitar , when you actually don't. It's too personal for that.
    Been there couldn’nt Agree more.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    ICBM said:
    1 has a muffled top-end and the low note attack is far too boomy and overpowers the other picking. Didn't like this at all.

2 is obviously a small guitar, but has a nice chimey openness about it that I like even though small guitars aren't really my thing.

3 is slightly scooped in the mids but otherwise sounds quite balanced - closest to the definitive picked dreadnought sound. My favourite.

4 has a slightly odd nasal 'whangy' frequency in the upper mids that I don't like.

No particular surprises to see what they are - I had a Lowden O10 once and didn't like it either! Beautifully made but didn't work for me soundwise. I made a stupid mistake not to sell it first when I should have...

I’m so glad you found No.3 to be your favourite, I have been championing the Tanglewood brand since getting my dreadnought (x15 ns) a year or so ago. They make superb guitars but they just seem to be criminally underrated. At the £650 price mark I found nothing to better it, just a fantastic guitar with a great spec too.       
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I am no means an acoustic expert but 3 and 4 made me think it had a resonator feel to it? No idea why (and I was listening via my phone) but I preferred 1 and 2. How were these recorded? I'm making the assumption is was via a mic?

Must be said, I really enjoyed the playing too, good work sir.
  • I have played some very mediocre Lowdens in my time and this sounds like one of them. I agree with most of the others the Tanglewood is best.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Actually, listening to it on proper speakers, 3 and 4 sounds very good compared to the others
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    Jetfire said:
    How were these recorded? I'm making the assumption is was via a mic?

Yes, with a pair of pencil condenser mics