Aged Kluson tuners

JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
Anyone know of a source for aged / reliced Kluson tuners (3 a side white plastic butter beans)?  My ES-225 currently has the metal versions but I’d like to fit period correct replacements. I did have a site that sold them bookmarked but I can’t find it and have searched fruitlessly via Google.

If aged replacements are not available is it possible to fit the butter bean white ‘turners’ and perhaps age those slightly myself by dipping in tea or similar?

The ones I need are these - https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hardware-parts-c1/tuning-machines-c28/vintage-style-tuners-c32/kluson-3-aside-plastic-butterbean-buttons-tuners-p2725
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    PS. Alternatively, if anyone has an old set surplus to reqs, I’d be happy purchase them. Thanks.  :)
  • rainer2859rainer2859 Frets: 304
    Check out Fake58, they are about as good as they get imho.
    Check out Fake58, they are about as good as they get imho.
    Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it looks as though they only do the plastic butter bean style in a three on a plate format.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Crazyparts.de
    https://crazyparts.de/art-of-aging-tuners/gibson-style-tuners-aged/kluson-dl-sr-tuners-nickel-aged.php

compared these to a set fitted on a genuine 61 Sg LP and they looked spot on  
    sweepy said:
    Crazyparts.de
    https://crazyparts.de/art-of-aging-tuners/gibson-style-tuners-aged/kluson-dl-sr-tuners-nickel-aged.php

compared these to a set fitted on a genuine 61 Sg LP and they looked spot on  
    Thanks for the link but unfortunately, like Rainer's suggestion, they only do the tulip tuners, while I need the butterbean version. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    i do my own

First the metal gets a quick dunk in ferric chloride.    Plastic gets deglossed with wire wool, sometimes additional wear is added.

Final stage for me is some  dark colron liquid scratch cover.   I have tried other brands that don't work quite as well for me.  
    https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/colron-liquid-scratch-cover

it gets brushed on heavily

then buff off as much as you need to.  

WezV said:
    i do my own

First the metal gets a quick dunk in ferric chloride.    Plastic gets deglossed with wire wool, sometimes additional wear is added.

Final stage for me is some  dark colron liquid scratch cover.   I have tried other brands that don't work quite as well for me.  

That looks excellent, very impressive. I think this may be the way to go. I don't need them to look reliced but just to match the remainder of the guitar better.

Is ferric chloride a drain cleaner? If so, is there a brand you would recommend?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    JezWynd said:
    WezV said:
    i do my own

That looks excellent, very impressive. I think this may be the way to go. I don't need them to look reliced but just to match the remainder of the guitar better.

Is ferric chloride a drain cleaner? If so, is there a brand you would recommend?
    its a chemical etchant for circuit boards, works well on nickel by either brushing a little on, or dunking it for a few seconds before washing with water.   doesn't touch chrome

but if that drain cleaner is basically acid you can probably use that too.  for acid aging you don't let the part touch the acid - the vapour does it.   this method works for chrome too

goes without saying both these are nasty chemicals so make sure you are safe and test on some spare parts if you can, even if its just a screw
    Thanks @WezV, that's useful info, though the chemicals sound very noxious! I've read that white vinegar fumes can give a similar effect, think I might experiment with that first on some scrap as it seems a more gentle, slower process.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14260
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    Thanks @WezV, that's useful info, though the chemicals sound very noxious! I've read that white vinegar fumes can give a similar effect, think I might experiment with that first on some scrap as it seems a more gentle, slower process.
    Last time I did a similar guitar I had to purchase a new set as per what you are looking for - I aged them with vinegar fumes - Tuners in a sieve, over the sauce pan with vinegar heated up - sauce pan lid on top - So the fumes discolour the nickel - 5 mins or so should be fine

Scuff up the tuning buttons a touch with wire wool before hand - the vinegar fumes will help to age a bit - If you need more then leave the buttons in a small bowl full of old tea or coffee - Check every couple of hours - Note button ends only so no fluid in the cogs etc

They won't look 60 year old, rusty and wrecked this way - But they will looked more worn than a new Gibson VOS
    JezWynd said:
    Last time I did a similar guitar I had to purchase a new set as per what you are looking for - I aged them with vinegar fumes - Tuners in a sieve, over the sauce pan with vinegar heated up - sauce pan lid on top - So the fumes discolour the nickel - 5 mins or so should be fine

Scuff up the tuning buttons a touch with wire wool before hand - the vinegar fumes will help to age a bit - If you need more then leave the buttons in a small bowl full of old tea or coffee - Check every couple of hours - Note button ends only so no fluid in the cogs etc

They won't look 60 year old, rusty and wrecked this way - But they will looked more worn than a new Gibson VOS
    Thanks, this method sounds ideal for a first attempt. I’ll give it a try and report back in a week or so.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14260
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    JezWynd said:

Thanks, this method sounds ideal for a first attempt. I’ll give it a try and report back in a week or so.
    You can't harm anything this way - try a bit and do more if required
  • @WezV has previously posted his method for ageing plastics, and it works a treat on pickguards, pickup covers etc, so I expect it will work well on the tuner buttons. The Colron stuff is also available in B&Q and you will definitely want some white spirit to soften the effect.
    I've used ferric chloride on nickel parts and that works well too. I had less success with vinegar, but got some ageing. However, whatever method you try, less is definitely more.