Reduced tension strings?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
I know a shorter scale length  means less tension but are there such a thing for acoustics?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    I prefer their normal tension strings, but the Heritage are worth trying. Tradeoff is less overall volume, but they make for easy bends, etc.

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 720
    I’ve got a set for sale on here

Newtone Heritage Series Acoustic - 12,16, 20, 28, 38, 51 Phosphor Bronze Round core - £7 posted

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/175245/strings-acoustic-and-electric#latest

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    Jetfire said:
    I know a shorter scale length  means less tension but are there such a thing for acoustics?
    you mean "can you order a guitar with a shorter scale length?"
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    If it's looser strings you want, I just bought a set of these, which are intended for older guitars that can't take full tension:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00162VV6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I can never really take to acoustic guitars because I find the action too high and the strings too tense. I bought some Newtone 11's for a Martin 000-18 the other day and they really are low tension. In fact, they're a bit too floppy and thin (sounds familiar!) so I'm going to change them tonight. I'm still impressed with the Newtone ones though, because they do exactly what they say they'll do and will order some more if this doesn't do the trick. It's enabled me to play the Martin like a lead guitar. Not sure that that's a good thing, though!
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 259
    I use Newtone Heritage 12-51 on my 000-28, work perfectly for me
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    On the scale length issue, there are different scale lengths.  Most Martins are 25.4" scale length, although OOOs are normally 24.9".

Gibson are often 24.75" like their electrics, although I believe there a few longer scale models.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    DB1 said:
    I can never really take to acoustic guitars because I find the action too high and the strings too tense. 
    You're not bashing the Martin hard enough! ;) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    DB1 said:
    I can never really take to acoustic guitars because I find the action too high and the strings too tense.
    Is it possible to have the action on your acoustic lowered? It could be as simple as filing down the saddle.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I've been using the Newtone ones mentioned above for something like a year now, it seems to me I can feel a difference, I can certainly play for longer before my arthriticy hand starts to suffer. Doesn't seem to be a huge loss in volume or projection (if I play upstairs mrs f can still hear me half the house away, and they sound great tone wise.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited March 2020
    telehack said:
    I prefer their normal tension strings, but the Heritage are worth trying. Tradeoff is less overall volume, but they make for easy bends, etc.

Based on this response I ordered a set of these Heritage Strings as I never play my Messer Lightning Resonator as it is so stiff and such bloody hard work, I had reduced string gauge to normal acoustic 11s.....it was still stiff as a board and essentially a big shiny ornament on the half landing, the only “playing” it got was when one of the dogs caught the strings with a wag of a tail....
    So I ordered a set of Heritage 11s and bloody hell what a difference, the Resonator still resonates, but it is now a joy to play, all clanky and trebly and joyous! Being a Reso its loud anyway......I’m a convert!

Chances are I could go up to 13’s and still feel a difference, so next time I’ll do that...

I now realise how much I hate slotted headstocks, such a bloody faff to change strings!.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

DB1 said:
    You're not bashing the Martin hard enough! ;) 
    Well, you say that, but you should see the swelling. 
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

DB1 said:
    Is it possible to have the action on your acoustic lowered? It could be as simple as filing down the saddle.
    I generally do that, or give the truss rod a tweak, and the 00018 does have a pretty low action now. I think it might be thicker strings, or wound thirds, that I don't get on with. However, a set of Martin 12's (the Monels) and a set of Heritage 12's turned up yesterday from the ever reliable Strings Direct, so I'll give them a whirl. 11's sound and feel too thin, so maybe low tension 12's will do the trick and make me sound like Emmanuel. (In Soho).
    Call me Dave.