oooh nice 74 sg

What's Hot
tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phils Vintage and modern guitars have a lovely 74 in stock also. Price on the special doesn't seem too bad might be able to haggle a bit.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    It depends if you *really* want a mid 70s, plastic covered mini-bucker equipped, harmonica bridge SG... with all that goes with it. They are "OK" but as an SG player and fan, I'd say they aren't typical of the breed.

Genuinely, you could get something a lot newer that is probably a better instrument* for a lot less.

*I've not played this one, but I've played a lot of similar ones... I prefer more traditional SGs.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    impmann said:
    It depends if you *really* want a mid 70s, plastic covered mini-bucker equipped, harmonica bridge SG... with all that goes with it. They are "OK" but as an SG player and fan, I'd say they aren't typical of the breed.

Genuinely, you could get something a lot newer that is probably a better instrument* for a lot less.

*I've not played this one, but I've played a lot of similar ones... I prefer more traditional SGs.
    plastic covered? this'd be nitro no?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    impmann said:

plastic covered? this'd be nitro no?
    The mini humbucker cover itself is plastic, iirc.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    I don't think it is a bad price - Hate it when they say pre-owned - Is any 1974 not pre-owned

The single biggest change that will improve that guitar is a good refret - I'd go PRS size around 6150 - Those low/wide frets of that era are 'orrible

I agree with @impmann that you could probably find a better new SG for a similar price - But that is bland and boring - Here you get a guitar approaching its 50th birthday, with some old school character
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    edited March 2020
    Oof -  in my opinion that is ambitiously priced considering its condition. These aren't exactly prized by collectors. The 74 also had the very narrow nut width, which I personally find challenging to play. I don't mind the harmonica bridge but others seem to have strong feelings about it.

Says it comes with a hard case, but it's worth checking whether it is the original hard case before buying.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 393
    Good advice already said...I have found they will give a decent reduction if you ask...possibly 8-10% off on this. Personally I would buy a 2000ish standard or pay more for the one at Phil's. 
    All the best for the SG search. Jon

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Epsilon said:
    Oof -  in my opinion that is ambitiously priced considering its condition. These aren't exactly prized by collectors. The 74 also had the very narrow nut width, which I personally find challenging to play. I don't mind the harmonica bridge but others seem to have strong feelings about it.

Says it comes with a hard case, but it's worth checking whether it is the original hard case before buying.
    yeah I asked about the case, he said he'll get back to me
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I have one.The fingerboard at nut is very narrow. Playing open chords is virtually impossible. The guitar lacks sustain.

I put a P90 in the bridge and it brought it to life.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Is it me or does the body shape also look different to a 'classic' SG?
    Loobs said:
    Is it me or does the body shape also look different to a 'classic' SG?
    They are different. 

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    If it was a 71 (birth year guitar), I'd be really tempted.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Changed tuners are a bit ugly, originals were metal, those ones are a bit ‘wrong’ somehow.....other issues, re fret .....searching for a dealbreaker
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    The biggest change to the shape is down to the bevels.    Much smaller round the edge and almost non existent in the cutaways - makes it look very different to a classic SG
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Epsilon said:

My SG had a harmonica bridge when I bought it s/h. I hated it, think they look really ugly. I swapped it out for a standard type Gotoh bridge. 

I’d say the one in the link is priced high but it’s a dealer so they’ll always bump the price up. Realistically I’d say it’s not worth more than £1k. Personally I wouldn’t pay more than £800 privately, as said they’re not a particularly desirable model, the pricing as usual revolves around the “it’s old, that makes it valuable” principle. 
  • im selling a 74 sg with original factory bigsby and no one wants to buy it
  • sixwheeltyrrelsixwheeltyrrel Frets: 186
    edited March 2020
    As someone who generally doesn't have Gibson leanings I do have quite a soft spot for SGs. I've owned one before and plan to again.  I wouldn't be drawn to that one at all. It looks at odds with what I have in my mind for a SG. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Two of my friends recently exchanged a 1980s 61 Reissue SG with the desirable Tim Shaw pickups in near perfect condition with the original case for £1000, which I thought was a fair price to both of them.

That should probably put this one into perspective...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom