Vibramate v Les Trem on Epi Sg?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
Picking up this MIK Epiphone SG on the weekend. My intention is to install a vibramate or les trem and seeing how I get on with them , I might upgrade to a "better" SG down the line.

I've see pro and cons for both the vibramate and les trem, though less negative opinions on the les trem. I've seen Danish Pete's video on his 335 with the les trem, and sonically it would seem to do what I would want it to do.
Has anyone had any issues with the les trem? It's cheaper than a vibramate too..
I did see one person say online that the les trem arm felt more like a strat trem arm than a Bigsby, as in, it was a longer arm.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    The Les Trem arm is a round bar with a larger round end, so it does feel more like a Strat trem than a Bigsby, yes.

My issues with it are that the spring is powerful enough that with normal string gauges, it sits against the back stop - so you can't pull up, and gentle wobbles are difficult. It's also rather 'floppy' in use - there doesn't seem to be much resistance to the arm movement. Both these things make it much more difficult to use subtly - overall it just feels a bit 'toylike' compared to the Bigsby.

There can also be a problem with some hard cases closing, since it's tall - I think slightly taller than the Bigsby even with a Vibramate. It is cheaper, much lighter in weight, and extremely easy to fit and remove though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited March 2020
    @ICBM good to know. hmmm....

Worth a punt? Looks like it's has some use!

https://reverb.com/item/31541990-bigsby-b5-vintage-vibramate-v5-made-in-usa
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    I've got a Les Trem on my SG and it's very useable.
    The bar can be as high or low as you want by twisting it around, and I solved the hard case problem by sticking the allen key to the back of the headstock - FLoyd style and taking the arm out when it goes in the case.
    I don't do subtle, but it does some fairly neat diving and stupid if that's what you're after.
    @Dave_Vader seems a no brainer then. I don't see many used Bigsby B5s around for good value, which is possibly a good sign, but the Les trem looks hassle free.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    It really is, I love it then hate it and it goes on and off with nearly every string change I do - but it's no hassle to switch out when you get bored of it and doesn't take up a lot of space on a shelf.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    I didn't mind the feel of the Les Term in use but did find the knurled disk the arm fits into got in my way a bit, if you rest your hand on the bridge a lot could be an issue.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I didn't like what the Vibramate did to the tone of my SG.  Ended up drilling.  Had more success with Les Trem
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    edited March 2020
    roberty said:
    I didn't like what the Vibramate did to the tone of my SG.  Ended up drilling.  Had more success with Les Trem
    This^

Edit: to clarify, I continue to use a les trem and would buy another again; I will never buy a vibramate again, really didn’t get on with it.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited March 2020
    I really like the towner solution. 

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I got a Doosie trem in the meantime, and it took me around 30 mins to fit it and tune up. Feels great.