Repairing Hiscox case

What's Hot
AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
I'm looking for a new case, and there's one going for an ok price near me, but with a small (inch or two) split in the protective outer shell. Anyone had any experience with patching these up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    If you can get behind the lining to the back of the outer shell you can use araldite on the crack and Halfords do a fibreglass repair kit to strengthen under the crack, I did this with a harley benton case with excellent results. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5041
    Difficult to say without seeing the split and knowing how much it is - if it isn’t dirt cheap I’d avoid.  Also depends what you want it for - if it’s for heavy duty touring I’d wait for one to come up that isn’t damaged. If it’s for lighter use, and it’s cheap, I’d just bung a bit of gaffa tape over the split and forget about it. A Fender moulded case I had split when my two year old (he’s now 30!) jumped on it. Bit of gaffa held it together and when I sold it on the buyer didn’t care.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    Due to the way the lining is bonded to the shell on a Hiscox, you won’t be able to get behind it... or if you can, it’s even more seriously damaged because that’s what provides a lot of the strength. If you can work some epoxy into the crack from the outside, that’s the easiest and best way, but I would still want it to be very cheap since it will never be as strong as an unbroken one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on it. It's not super-cheap, and I'll really only need it for if I fly (and those gigs may yet be unviable if we have to pay for visas from next year etc etc etc). I've got one knackered standard case that always protected the guitar fine, but once it cracked it was always going downhill.

Thanks for the advice all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom