New Old Martin

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• pjfpjf Frets: 331
    markj said:
    Andy79 said:
    It’s back from its neck set.  I’ve put some Martin retros on it. As yet I’m undecided on them. Seems to have lost some of its creamyness.but it’s an absolute cannon
     I’ll let them bed in and see 

Ive never been so pleased to play a guitar again as this one

The Retros take around 4 to 5 days to settle and mellow down. 
    Agree, definitely give them a bit of time Andy. That’s what I use on my ‘30s Kalamazoo which you know about :) tried a fair few sets before discovering them and have never looked back. Who did you trust with the neck set? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79 said:
    Tortoise shell overlay is super cool. As bling as these got 

Gorgeous that never seen the tortoise shell overlay, and congratulations on a mighty fine purchase.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited June 2020
    I used a guy up in North Shields. I had the choice of 3, Dave king being one but I have a decent relationship with this guy and he did such a good job of rebuilding my Kalamazoo I went with him. 

I’m still not convinced on these retros, the way they deal with the highs, but I’ll give it another week pjf 

I have John Pearse PBs on the ‘zoo and won’t change those. 

I thought for a long time the 30s Gibson V necks were my choice but having spent time on this Martin this shallower 1940s V is better, even at 11/16 width
    Do they even make this shape neck anymore? If so I’d like to have a 000-18 with it. Maybe the 000-18v is the same? (Discontinued I know)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496

I can't believe how incredible the guitar looks now. How's it sounding now btw? I imagine with the neck angle changing a bit the sound could change?

Really though, it might be my dream guitar. I'm finding myself more and more drawn not just to the smaller body sizes eg O/OO as they seem to have a more focussed sound pleasing to my ears and the midrange of a Mahogany soundboard. Fine work again on such a fine acquisition.

As for the neck shape/000-18's, depending on your budget I'd keep an eye out for a 000-18GE from a few years back. I can't say for sure exactly about the neck shape, but it was one of the best modern Martin 000's for sound (the Martin OM-18GE was spectacular as well)
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888

I can't believe how incredible the guitar looks now. How's it sounding now btw? I imagine with the neck angle changing a bit the sound could change?

Really though, it might be my dream guitar. I'm finding myself more and more drawn not just to the smaller body sizes eg O/OO as they seem to have a more focussed sound pleasing to my ears and the midrange of a Mahogany soundboard. Fine work again on such a fine acquisition.

As for the neck shape/000-18's, depending on your budget I'd keep an eye out for a 000-18GE from a few years back. I can't say for sure exactly about the neck shape, but it was one of the best modern Martin 000's for sound (the Martin OM-18GE was spectacular as well)
    Hard to compare reality as I bought it with an old dead set of 80/20s and didn’t change them but the response does seem to have improved, must have really as the neck angle was so bad and the string break angle was non existent 

I do agree about small bodies. I know some/most have a boxy sound but if they are built carefully they can be great

Honestly I’m probably done with spending at the moment but I could easily consolidate some other gear for another Martin 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    Andy79 said:

... the neck angle was so bad and the string break angle was non existent
    I hope it’s just an illusion of the photo angle but it looks terrifying now!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein