How much to fit a K&K Pure Mini?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
I think my tiny local shop is a dealer - if I go an in put my money on the counter what’s a reasonable sum to be charged for fitting it? (To a D28) 

thanks

PS I am super impressed you did yours yourself, but I don’t want to do that :-) 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    I was charged around £40 a while ago by Mansons
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    edited March 2020
    Whatever the standard charge for one hour's labour is - I would charge £40 as well, but anything around £50 is reasonable if you have shop overheads etc involved.

It's not really an hour's work in terms of actual hands-on time, but takes a bit more than an hour due to having to wait for the glue to set three times. AKA tea/Fretboard time .

And you are right - it's not a technically difficult job, but it's much easier if you're experienced at working through the soundhole and handling things covered in superglue where you can't see them... and also reaming a half-inch hole in the end of a two grand guitar ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Cool - thanks chaps. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • I’ve paid £50 footing for all the pickups I’ve had fitted by my local trusted luthier.

fishman undersaddle - 00-15
    baggs lyric - D18-GE

so an hour’s time seems right to me. 

Cheers 
    Red ones are better. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    ICBM said:
    reaming a half-inch hole in the end of a two grand guitar ;).
    Thank Clapton for brown overalls.

Furch/Stonebridge use an expandable metal end pin device. Simple screwdriver job to remove and to refit, should that ever become necessary. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    ICBM said:
    reaming a half-inch hole in the end of a two grand guitar ;).
    Thank Clapton for brown overalls.

And the rest

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/acoustic-guitars/cf-martin-d-28-authentic-1941.htm?opt=15048&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv8igvqCL6AIVyNDeCh3E3wI3EAkYASABEgJLrvD_BwE
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

And the rest
    If it's an Authentic 1941 then a big split in the end of the guitar is just historically accurate and you don't need to worry about it.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Did the real ones not fare well then? I know almost nothing about old acoustics - this thing just blew me away, vintage-authentic or not 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Did the real ones not fare well then? I know almost nothing about old acoustics - this thing just blew me away, vintage-authentic or not 
    Mostly they're fine, it's just a few that have splits - usually caused by them being dropped on the end pin, which is tapered and so has a tendency to split the block if it's really hammered into the hole.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    We fit a lot of them , and also the JJB brand ones .
    Typically about £40-45 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• LewyLewy Frets: 4213
    Typically about £40-45 
    In your expert opinion, is the K&K superior or are the JJB ones just as good (as fans of them claim)?
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    Lewy said:
    Typically about £40-45 
    In your expert opinion, is the K&K superior or are the JJB ones just as good (as fans of them claim)?
    Exactly what I was thinking.